Doubt in defining transfer function

In summary, the transfer function is a mathematical model that allows for the calculation of the circuit's response over time. The equation for the transfer function can be found by considering the circuit's initial condition to zero.
bharath423
why in a transfer function it is written by considering the initial condition to zero..
because if we individual write the integro-differential equation
and apply Laplace transform to them
and obtain a output/input relation,it definitely contains the initial condition terms in it also..
so removing these terms in the transfer function would definitely effect the result,but why do we not consider them while writing a transfer function??

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, if there is an initial condition, then it WOULD be taken into account. Your premise IS correct.

Especially when beginning circuit analysis, I recall circuit conditions often being assumed at zero...Also the initial conditions are simply a special case of the overall transfer function analysis...after determing the circuit response as a function of time, you can always restart the analysis at some t = a time...all it does is add a constant...I don't think that would be all that interesting.

Naty1 said:
Well, if there is an initial condition, then it WOULD be taken into account. Your premise IS correct.

Especially when beginning circuit analysis, I recall circuit conditions often being assumed at zero...Also the initial conditions are simply a special case of the overall transfer function analysis...after determing the circuit response as a function of time, you can always restart the analysis at some t = a time...all it does is add a constant...I don't think that would be all that interesting.

can u explain me with equations... i mean..take a simple RC circuit...with measuring,output voltage at the capacitor...say it has a initial voltage..
i had done it but i was not able to resolve the equation for input to output form..

thank you naty...but i came to know that transfer function is just defined like that to have zero intial conditions...so there isn't any particular reason to define it so,but they defined it only to get the ease of calculations..i think so..

but previously i was not asking to explain the impedance function to for capacitor..
anyway thank u for that link...
i was asking you to take two port RC network just like low pass filter..and asked for the transfer function i.e, input voltage(to RC network) to output voltage(at capacitor) with capacitor having some initial voltage..
so transfer function we will be left with a term containing initial values too..that was my problem actually..
:smile:

What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the system responds to different inputs and is commonly used in control theory and signal processing.

How is a transfer function defined?

A transfer function is typically defined as the ratio of the output of a system to its input, in the frequency domain. It is expressed as a function of complex variables, where the numerator represents the output and the denominator represents the input.

What is the role of doubt in defining a transfer function?

Doubt can arise when trying to define a transfer function because it is a simplified representation of a complex system. There may be uncertainties about the accuracy of the function in representing the actual behavior of the system, and it may not always be applicable in all situations.

How is doubt addressed in defining a transfer function?

Doubt can be addressed by validating the transfer function through experiments and comparing its predictions to the actual behavior of the system. If there are discrepancies, the transfer function can be modified or refined to better represent the system.

What are the limitations of a transfer function?

A transfer function is only applicable to linear systems and may not accurately represent non-linear or time-varying systems. It also assumes that all inputs and outputs are in the frequency domain, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.