Doubts about change of variable in ODE

In summary: J_{1/2}(u) + c_2 N_{1/2}(u)In summary, the author uses the method of variation of parameters to solve the differential equation, obtaining a solution in terms of Bessel functions. The desired relation z(y) = 1/u^(3/2)z(u) can be obtained by using the change of variables u = e^y. The author's solution only has one constant, but there should be two independent constants, suggesting a possible error in the calculations.
arroy_0205
I was trying to check some calculations from a paper myself and I got
stuck at a differential equation. Can anybody help me with suggestions?
I am giving a simpler version of the differential eqn by setting all numerical
constants=1. Consider:
[tex]
e^{-2y}\left(z''(y)-2z'(y)+\frac{3}{4}z(y)\right)+z(y)=0
[/tex]
We change variable to
[tex]
u=e^y
[/tex]
then the ODE is
[tex]
u^2z''(u)-uz'(u)+z(u)(u^2+\frac{3}{4})=0
[/tex]
The author writes the solution is:
[tex]
z(y)=\frac{1}{u^{3/2}}z(u)=u\left(J_{\frac{1}{2}}(u)+c_1N_{\frac{1}{2}}(u) \right)
[/tex]
where J and N are Bessel functions. My problem is, I am getting the relation
[tex]
z(u)=u\left(c_1 J_{\frac{1}{2}}(u)+c_2 N_{\frac{1}{2}}(u) \right)
[/tex]
But note that according to the author,
[tex]
z(y)={u^{5/2}}\left(J_{\frac{1}{2}}(u)+c_1N_{\frac{1}{2}}(u) \right)
[/tex]
Or in other words though I can get the desired solution in terms of changed variable,
I am not able to get the relation:
[tex]
z(y)=\frac{1}{u^{3/2}}z(u)
[/tex]
at all. How to get this relation? Also, note that the author uses one constant
in the solution but I think there should be two independent constants. What am I missing in the calculations?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One approach to solve the differential equation is to use the method of variation of parameters. To do this, we need to first solve the homogeneous equation, which in this case is:e^{-2y}\left(z''(y)-2z'(y)+\frac{3}{4}z(y)\right)+z(y)=0The homogenous equation has two linearly independent solutions, which can be written as:z_1(y) = c_1 e^{-y/2} z_2(y) = c_2 e^{y/2}We then need to find a particular solution of the form:z_p(y) = u(y)z_1(y) + v(y)z_2(y)Substituting this into the original differential equation, we obtain:u'(y)z_1(y) - v'(y)z_2(y) + u(y)z_1'(y) + v(y)z_2'(y) + \frac{3}{4}[u(y)z_1(y) + v(y)z_2(y)] = 0Solving for u' and v', we obtain:u'(y) = \frac{3}{4}u(y) - \frac{1}{2}v(y)v'(y) = \frac{3}{4}v(y) + \frac{1}{2}u(y)We can then solve these equations for u and v, and thus we have the solution:z(y) = c_1 e^{-y/2}u(y) + c_2 e^{y/2}v(y)Using the change of variables u = e^y, we can rewrite this as:z(u) = u \left(c_1 u^{-3/2} J_{1/2}(u) + c_2 u^{3/2} N_{1/2}(u) \right)We then have the relation:z(y) = \frac{1}{u^{3/2

1. What is a change of variable in an ODE?

A change of variable in an ODE (ordinary differential equation) refers to a transformation of the independent variable in the equation. This is often done to simplify the equation or make it easier to solve.

2. Why do we need to use a change of variable in an ODE?

A change of variable can help us solve more complex ODEs by transforming them into simpler forms. It can also make it easier to apply certain methods or techniques for solving ODEs.

3. How do I know when to use a change of variable in an ODE?

The decision to use a change of variable in an ODE is based on the structure and complexity of the equation. If the equation is difficult to solve in its current form, a change of variable may be necessary. Additionally, certain types of ODEs may require a change of variable to be solved.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for choosing a suitable change of variable in an ODE?

Yes, there are some general rules and guidelines for choosing a change of variable in an ODE. One common approach is to try to transform the equation into a separable form, where the dependent and independent variables can be separated. Other techniques, such as substitution or transformation to a first-order ODE, may also be useful in certain cases.

5. Can a change of variable affect the solution of an ODE?

Yes, a change of variable can affect the solution of an ODE. This is because it can change the structure of the equation and make it easier or more difficult to solve. It is important to carefully consider the effects of a change of variable on the solution before applying it to an ODE.