Doubts regarding atomic spectra of mono-electron species

Main Question or Discussion Point

I was studying about atomic spectra of mono-electron species and in the pic it describes the ##4## series (principal, sharp, diffuse and fundamental).

However I'm a little confused by the formula.Here my doubts are:

1) In the Wikipedia about the sharp series. There is ##+ve## sign between ##p/q## (energy levels) and ##\alpha## and ##\beta## (characteristics constants) but in the book it is ##-ve## sign. So which is correct?
2) In the sharp series it says ##p=2## and ##q\ge2##,but it writes in fomula (##1- \alpha##) where ##1## is supposed to be the value of ##p##. So why is it like that?
3) In the sharp series it says ##p=2## and ##q\ge2##,but in the diffuse series it says ##p=2## and ##q\ge3##.So wouldn't the diffuse series come under sharp series because what is ##\ge2## is obviously ##\ge3##
Thanks for reading.

[1]: [2]: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_series

Answers and Replies

Dr_Nate
Science Advisor
1) You could try calculating the wavenumbers for both and comparing them to experiment.
2) Eq. 2.15 seems to show you that Eq. 2.12 is a typo.
3) Each of those equations has a ##\beta## with a different subscript, so they are going to give different results.

1) You could try calculating the wavenumbers for both and comparing them to experiment.
2) Eq. 2.15 seems to show you that Eq. 2.12 is a typo.
3) Each of those equations has a ##\beta## with a different subscript, so they are going to give different results.
Can you give any source material on this concept containing the formulas? In Wikipedia there are only 1st 2 series

Dr_Nate
Science Advisor
Can you give any source material on this concept containing the formulas? In Wikipedia there are only 1st 2 series
You might want to search for "sharp principal diffuse fundamental series equations" or "alkali spectra".

Here, here and here might be useful links.