Calculate the physical properties of a Bohr atom

In summary: It is a transition from n=2 to n=1. This is just a terminology. So in this case, the other transition state is n=2.In summary, the radius of the n=1 orbit in C^5+ is 1.06e-7 m, the energy of the electron in that orbit is 2.74e-20 = 0.170 eV, and the wavelength of the radiation emitted by C^5+ in the lyman alpha transition is 121.6 nm. This transition state is from n=2 to n=1. The Bohr model can be used to find the energy levels and transitions for one-electron atoms and ions.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

What is the radius of the n=1 orbit in C^5+ ? What is the energy of the electron in that orbit? What is the wavelength of the radiation emitted by C^5+ in the lyman alpha transition

Homework Equations

1/lambda=R*(1/(n^2)-1/(m^2) ); a(0)=(h/(2*pi))/(m*k*e^2);a(0)=.0529e-9m =5.29e-7 mE=-k*Z^2*e^2/2/((r)); r= a(0)*n^2/Z

The Attempt at a Solution

to find the radius , I know r=a(0)*n^2/Z ; Z is the atomic number. The atomic number of C^+5 is 5. r=(5.29e-7 m)*(1)^2/(5)= 1.06e-7 m

to Find energy E=-k*Z^2*e^2/(2*r)= (9e9)((5)^2)((1.609e-19 J)^2)/(2*(1.06e-7m))=2.74e-20=.170 eV

Now I'm asked to find the wavelength in the lyman alpha transition. Since I'm in the lyman transition , should I say one the transition state n=1? Maybe I don't need to find the other transition state. I could used the fact that 1/lambda=(1/hc)*(E(f)-E(i)) . I know from earlier in the problem that E(i) = .170 eV. For a lyman series E(f)= 13.6 eV . E(f)-E(i)/(hc)=1/lambda => lambda= hc/(E(f)-E(i))

Physics news on Phys.org
The Lyman alpha transition is from m = 2... intial orbit, to n = 1... final orbit...

so substitute these values into the formula and you'll get the wavelength.

how do you know one of the transitions is m=2?

so the rest of my calculations are okay? . USing the fact that E(f)-E(i)/(hc)=1/lambda is an option for finding lambda to right since E(f)=13.6 eV for the lyman series

Benzoate said:
so the rest of my calculations are okay? . USing the fact that E(f)-E(i)/(hc)=1/lambda is an option for finding lambda to right since E(f)=13.6 eV for the lyman series

I'm not sure... what does C^5+ mean?

learningphysics said:
I'm not sure... what does C^5+ mean?

C^5+ is Carbon and it reads that carbon has an atomic number Z +5. I finding some confusion here: according to the periodic table, the atomic number of carbon is 6.

Last edited:
Benzoate said:

Does this problem involve the Bohr model of the atom? In that case En = -13.6ev*Z^2/n^2

the energy at n = 1, comes out to: -13.6*5^2/1^2 = -340eV

I think your calculation was wrong: it should be -(1/2)*k(5e)e/r (this is the potential energy + kinetic energy)

and r =(5.29e-11 m)*(1)^2/(5)= 1.06e-11 m

using these the energy also comes out to: -340eV

I think the best way to get energy here is using En = -13.6ev*Z^2/n^2

So yes, get the energy difference from n=2 to n =1... then set that equal to hc/lambda... then solve for lambda.

learningphysics said:
Does this problem involve the Bohr model of the atom? In that case En = -13.6ev*Z^2/n^2

the energy at n = 1, comes out to: -13.6*5^2/1^2 = -340eV

I think your calculation was wrong: it should be -(1/2)*k(5e)e/r (this is the potential energy + kinetic energy)

and r =(5.29e-11 m)*(1)^2/(5)= 1.06e-11 m

using these the energy also comes out to: -340eV

I think the best way to get energy here is using En = -13.6ev*Z^2/n^2

So yes, get the energy difference from n=2 to n =1... then set that equal to hc/lambda... then solve for lambda.

Yes but doesn't E(0)=-13.6 eV only when we are talking about the hydrogen atom

Benzoate said:
Yes but doesn't E(0)=-13.6 eV only when we are talking about the hydrogen atom

Ah... z = 6 not 5. sorry about that!

I think the bohr model is for 1-electron atoms... I understand now that carbon 5+ refers to a carbon ion... a carbon atom that has lost 5 of its electrons, and just left with 1...

like you found out carbon has atomic number 6. it lost 5 electrons, so it has just one left... So the bohr model still applies:

En = -13.6ev*Z^2/n^2

here if z = 1, then we're dealing with hydrogen... if we use Z = 6 then we have a carbon nucleus with 1 electron...

E_1 = -13.6*6^2/1^2 = -489.6eV

and using:

-(1/2)*k(6e)e/r will also give -489.6eV

so you can find E_2 etc...

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
Ah... z = 6 not 5. sorry about that!

I think the bohr model is for 1-electron atoms... I understand now that carbon 5+ refers to a carbon ion... a carbon atom that has lost 5 of its electrons, and just left with 1...

like you found out carbon has atomic number 6. it lost 5 electrons, so it has just one left... So the bohr model still applies:

En = -13.6ev*Z^2/n^2

here if z = 1, then we're dealing with hydrogen... if we use Z = 6 then we have a carbon nucleus with 1 electron...

E_1 = -13.6*6^2/1^2 = -489.6eV

and using:

-(1/2)*k(6e)e/r will also give -489.6eV

so you can find E_2 etc...

I still have two unknowns: E_2 and lambda. How would I find E_2? Why isn't E_1 -13.6 eV since the wavelength supposed to be in the lyman series

I think I have it : E_1=E_0/n^2= 13.6 eV/1^2=13.6 eV. E_2=E_0/n^2=13.6/2^2=3.4 eV. Only problems I see with this line of reason is how do you know the other transition state is n=2?

Last edited:
Benzoate said:
I still have two unknowns: E_2 and lambda. How would I find E_2? Why isn't E_1 -13.6 eV since the wavelength supposed to be in the lyman series

I think I have it : E_1=E_0/n^2= 13.6 eV/1^2=13.6 eV. E_2=E_0/n^2=13.6/2^2=3.4 eV.

this is only for hydrogen... for other atoms:

En = -13.6ev*Z^2/n^2

so for z = 6, E1 = -489.6 eV... using the same formula E2 = -122.4eV

Only problems I see with this line of reason is how do you know the other transition state is n=2?

I think that is just what "Lyman alpha transition" means.

1. What is a Bohr atom?

A Bohr atom is a model of an atom proposed by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913. It is a simplified representation of an atom, where electrons orbit around a nucleus in specific energy levels.

2. How do you calculate the physical properties of a Bohr atom?

The physical properties of a Bohr atom, such as the energy levels and radius of the electron orbits, can be calculated using the Bohr model equation: En = -13.6 eV/n2 and rn = 0.529 Å x n2, where n is the principal quantum number representing the energy level.

3. What is the significance of the Bohr atom model?

The Bohr atom model helped to explain the stability of atoms and the discrete emission spectra observed in the light emitted by different elements. It also formed the basis for further development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of atomic structure.

4. Can the Bohr model accurately describe all atoms?

No, the Bohr model is an oversimplified representation of atoms and it cannot accurately describe the behavior of larger atoms or molecules. It does not take into account the wave-like nature of electrons and the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics.

5. How has the Bohr atom model evolved over time?

The Bohr atom model was later replaced by the more accurate quantum mechanical model, which incorporates the principles of wave-particle duality and the probabilistic nature of electrons in atoms. However, the Bohr model is still used as a conceptual tool for teaching atomic structure and has contributed significantly to our understanding of the behavior of atoms.