1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dover style book on control systems?

1. Nov 4, 2013 #1
    Been reading some Dover books (topology, ODE:s, complex variables) and I think they've been just brilliant so far. I'd like more books in the same vein on other subjects. Most engineering books are absolutely awful in my opinion (books in the style of Merriam/Kraige mechanics - utterly hand-wavy, almost demeaning theory wise, thick and heavy with focus on braindead exercises and pretty pictures) so I was wondering if there was any equivalent publisher there. A book on control systems would be extra nice to find, but other areas aswell.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2013 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Some of the Dover books are excellent, others not so. One common problem is that they are *old*. That's why they're cheap. If you want cutting edge stuff, don't bother with Dover books. On the other hand, if you want basic theory, those Dover books can be quite good. With regard to control systems, Stengel's Optimal Control and Estimation and Anderson's Optimal Filtering are worth a look, and very worth the price.

4. Nov 5, 2013 #3
    Thanks DH! I'm still an undergrad so I don't mind them not being cutting edge. Any opinion on Feedback Control Theory (Dover Books on Engineering) by John Comstock Doyle?

5. Nov 5, 2013 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't have that one. It received three good reviews on amazon, but also one very bad review. Four reviews is not enough to make any kind of judgment. The table of contents and intro are viewable on amazon. From that, it appears to me that this book only covers SISO problems and barely touches upon filtering in the time domain.

6. Nov 7, 2013 #5

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted