Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books on Spacecraft Control and Navigation

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    I am a math grad student who has really got interested in spacecraft control and navigation.

Like a lot of people, I have been playing too much ksp and gotten interested in the mathematics of spacecraft navigation and control. For fun, I derived some basic motion and control equations from Hamilton systems and what little I remember about freshman physics. Now I want to expand on my knowledge on the field.

Any books or other resource suggestions on where to start with a strong mathematical background (but little space background) would be really helpful. Also, I would really prefer cheaper books like dover since this is pretty much a hobby right now.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2013 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know my graduate class on spacecraft dynamics was taught using "Analytical Mechanics of Space Systems" by Schaub and Junkins. I am not a dynamics and controls guy though so I have no idea if that book is considered "good". I know at least one of the authors is NAE though, so that's got to count for something.

4. Dec 6, 2013 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Schaub and Junkins is one of the more widely-used texts in aerospace engineering. Another is Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications by Vallado. Yet another: Fundamentals of Astrodynamics by Bate, Mueller, and White. Yet another: Control of Spacecraft and Aircraft by Bryson.

There are *lots* more. tmay42, you are asking about a very large field of study. There is no single book that encompasses this very large field.

5. Dec 6, 2013 #4
    Thank you for the reference.

DH, I do realize it is a huge field and should have been more clear in my post. I am just looking for a good introduction to the field and not asking for everything to be summarized in one book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook