Downloading files with Windows 2000

• Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
This may sound like a stupid question , so please don't laugh. How would you download a program like chess with Windows 2000? Its been awhile since I've had windows 2000 on my computer? You see , I just got a new computer to replaced My old computer and it happen to have Windows 2000 on it. I had my old computer for five years now and its had windows Xp. I know how to download a file from my computer. I just don't know how to open the downloaded file with winzip

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
I'm not sure what you mean. If you need to open a file with winzip, you install winzip and double click or right click the file. To download something...well...you're on the internet - Click a link.

Win2k is not fundamentally different from XP.

Do you mean you had a program installed on one computer that you want to transfer to another? Typically, you can't - you need to reinstall it from the CD.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you need to open a file with winzip, you install winzip and double click or right click the file. To download something...well...you're on the internet - Click a link.

Win2k is not fundamentally different from XP.

Do you mean you had a program installed on one computer that you want to transfer to another? Typically, you can't - you need to reinstall it from the CD.
No, I downloaded a file from the internet, I simply don't know how to open my file with winzip. Do you even need winzip for win2k to open a downloaded file? Because most of the winzip files I have downloaded in the past are trial versions and you eventually will have to pay for the winzip program.

Last edited:
No, I downloaded a file from the internet, I simply don't know how to open my file with winzip. Do you even need winzip for win2k to open a downloaded file? Because most of the winzip files I have downloaded in the past are trial versions and you eventually will have to pay for the winzip program.
Use 7-Zip instead of Winzip: http://www.7-zip.org . It will decompress just about any archive format under the sun: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS. I just installed 7-Zip on a Windows 2000 machine, and it works like a charm.

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The funny thing is that 7-Zip is actually better at zipping files than WinZip. They're usually a percent smaller or so, even though WinZip costs money and 7Z doesn't.