Downloading files with Windows 2000

In summary, if you need to open a downloaded file on Windows 2000, you install Winzip and then double click or right click the file.
Benzoate
This may sound like a stupid question , so please don't laugh. How would you download a program like chess with Windows 2000? Its been awhile since I've had windows 2000 on my computer? You see , I just got a new computer to replaced My old computer and it happen to have Windows 2000 on it. I had my old computer for five years now and its had windows Xp. I know how to download a file from my computer. I just don't know how to open the downloaded file with winzip

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean. If you need to open a file with winzip, you install winzip and double click or right click the file. To download something...well...you're on the internet - Click a link.

Win2k is not fundamentally different from XP.

Do you mean you had a program installed on one computer that you want to transfer to another? Typically, you can't - you need to reinstall it from the CD.

russ_watters said:
I'm not sure what you mean. If you need to open a file with winzip, you install winzip and double click or right click the file. To download something...well...you're on the internet - Click a link.

Win2k is not fundamentally different from XP.

Do you mean you had a program installed on one computer that you want to transfer to another? Typically, you can't - you need to reinstall it from the CD.

No, I downloaded a file from the internet, I simply don't know how to open my file with winzip. Do you even need winzip for win2k to open a downloaded file? Because most of the winzip files I have downloaded in the past are trial versions and you eventually will have to pay for the winzip program.

Last edited:
Benzoate said:
No, I downloaded a file from the internet, I simply don't know how to open my file with winzip. Do you even need winzip for win2k to open a downloaded file? Because most of the winzip files I have downloaded in the past are trial versions and you eventually will have to pay for the winzip program.
Use 7-Zip instead of Winzip: http://www.7-zip.org . It will decompress just about any archive format under the sun: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS. I just installed 7-Zip on a Windows 2000 machine, and it works like a charm.

The funny thing is that 7-Zip is actually better at zipping files than WinZip. They're usually a percent smaller or so, even though WinZip costs money and 7Z doesn't.

1. How do I download files using Windows 2000?

To download a file on Windows 2000, you can either use a web browser or a file transfer protocol (FTP) client. In your web browser, simply click on the download link and choose a location to save the file. With an FTP client, you will need to enter the server address, username, and password to connect and transfer the file.

2. Can I pause and resume a download in Windows 2000?

Yes, you can pause and resume a download in Windows 2000. Most web browsers and FTP clients have this feature. Simply click on the pause button to pause the download and click on the resume button to continue.

3. How do I monitor the progress of a download in Windows 2000?

When downloading a file in Windows 2000, a progress bar will appear in your web browser or FTP client. This bar will show you the current download speed, the amount of data downloaded, and the estimated time remaining.

4. Can I change the default download location in Windows 2000?

Yes, you can change the default download location in Windows 2000. In most web browsers, you can go to the settings or preferences menu and choose a different location to save your downloads. In an FTP client, you can specify the download location before initiating the download.

5. Are there any limitations for downloading files in Windows 2000?

Windows 2000 does not have any specific limitations for downloading files. However, your internet speed, available storage space, and the server's bandwidth may affect the download speed and success. Additionally, some websites or servers may have restrictions on the maximum file size for downloads.