Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Downloading files with Windows 2000

1. Aug 12, 2007 #1
    This may sound like a stupid question , so please don't laugh. How would you download a program like chess with Windows 2000? Its been awhile since I've had windows 2000 on my computer? You see , I just got a new computer to replaced My old computer and it happen to have Windows 2000 on it. I had my old computer for five years now and its had windows Xp. I know how to download a file from my computer. I just don't know how to open the downloaded file with winzip
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you mean. If you need to open a file with winzip, you install winzip and double click or right click the file. To download something...well...you're on the internet - Click a link.

Win2k is not fundamentally different from XP.

Do you mean you had a program installed on one computer that you want to transfer to another? Typically, you can't - you need to reinstall it from the CD.
  4. Aug 13, 2007 #3
    No, I downloaded a file from the internet, I simply don't know how to open my file with winzip. Do you even need winzip for win2k to open a downloaded file? Because most of the winzip files I have downloaded in the past are trial versions and you eventually will have to pay for the winzip program.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  5. Aug 13, 2007 #4
    Use 7-Zip instead of Winzip: http://www.7-zip.org . It will decompress just about any archive format under the sun: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS. I just installed 7-Zip on a Windows 2000 machine, and it works like a charm.
  6. Aug 13, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The funny thing is that 7-Zip is actually better at zipping files than WinZip. They're usually a percent smaller or so, even though WinZip costs money and 7Z doesn't.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?