Dp/dt = 4p-3p^2-p^3Diff. Equation.

• Thread starter killersanta
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses a problem with an incorrect factorization and how to properly solve it. The conversation also involves finding an integral mistake and correcting it, as well as discussing how to handle various mathematical operations involving roots. The conversation ends with one member needing further assistance with the problem and the other offering to provide more help the next day.
Physics news on Phys.org
I see a mistake in the second line which probably creates problems further down... 4-3p-p^2 factors as (4+p)(1-p) not (4-p)(1+p)...gotta watch those negative signs, they'll getcha every time. :)

MaxwellsDemon said:
I see a mistake in the second line which probably creates problems further down... 4-3p-p^2 factors as (4+p)(1-p) not (4-p)(1+p)...gotta watch those negative signs, they'll getcha every time. :)

haha, thanks... Though, it sucks I made the mistake so early...

I think there's an intigration mistake in line three...should be (1/4)ln(p) - (1/20)ln(4+p) - (1/5)ln(1-p)...I think. That should help with the simplification.

How do you interat it?

I broke it down, and use a U-sub on all of them.
Ex: INT 1/(80+20P) dp
U = 80 + 20P
du = 20 dp
1/20du = dp
1/20 INT 1/U du
1/20 ln | U | + C
Resub: 1/20 ln |80+20P| + C

Can you pull the 1/20 out in front?

You can always double check by differentiating your integration result to see if it is the same as what you started with. But yeah, remember you can pull a constant out front when integrating...if you had something like INT(1/6x) that's the same as (1/6)INT(1/x)

MaxwellsDemon said:
You can always double check by differentiating your integration result to see if it is the same as what you started with. But yeah, remember you can pull a constant out front when integrating...if you had something like INT(1/6x) that's the same as (1/6)INT(1/x)

How do you handled after this point though. The other I knew how to do, just made a few little errors.

I know, LN A - LN B = LN A/B

I also know, 1/A LN |B| = LN Aroot of B

Once I get them all to LN Some-Root B, I can get them all to the same LN. and will I take the e of both sides the LN is gone...

What do I do that at that point I have A-Root-# * B Root-# / C root - #

I don't know how to handle all the roots.

Do you know what the answer is supposed to be? I've been playing around with the math a bit and I get to (1/20) ln [(p^5) / (4+p)((1-p)^4)] After that I just kind of gave up because I'm lazy. :) I guess I just assumed that simplified algebraically...is it supposed to be a nice clean answer like p = f(t) ?

I don't know the answer, but it does need to be P (t) = F(t). Because after we are done, we need to use a few initial conditions... P(0)= 3, P(0)= -1/2, P(0)= -2.

Hmm, I'm not sure and its my bed time. I'll give it a little thought and get back to you tomorrow. Hopefully someone else on the forum can give you some advice in the mean time.

sounds good. Thanks, you have been a lot of help :)

I tried anyway. Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful...I'm just so lazy. :D

1. What is the meaning of "Dp/dt" in this differential equation?

The notation "Dp/dt" represents the derivative of the function p with respect to time. It is a measure of the rate of change of p over time.

2. How do you solve this differential equation?

This type of differential equation is known as a separable differential equation, which means the variables can be separated on either side of the equation. To solve it, you would need to use techniques such as separation of variables or integrating factors.

3. What does the number "4" represent in this equation?

The "4" in this equation represents the coefficient of the p term. It is a constant that affects the rate of change of p over time.

4. What does the equation tell us about the behavior of p over time?

This equation is a model that describes how the function p changes over time. It tells us that p will increase or decrease depending on the values of the coefficients and the initial conditions set for the equation.

5. What real-life applications can this differential equation be used for?

This type of differential equation is commonly used to model population growth or decay, chemical reactions, and other natural phenomena. It can also be applied in economics, engineering, and other fields to analyze dynamic systems.