Drag Coeffecient and Reynolds Number. HELP

In summary, the drag force on a sphere moving through a fluid can be determined using the drag coefficient and the Reynolds number. A table is provided with the relationship between these two variables. To find the diameter of a steel ball falling through oil, one data point must be used. Additionally, when a sphere attains a terminal velocity, it means that it is not accelerating and three forces are in equilibrium.
freedomstatue

Homework Statement

From dimensional analysis it is found that the drag force F that a fluid (density ρ, viscosity μ) exerts on a sphere (diameter d) moving through a fluid at a velocity u is given by

cD = f(Re),

where
The table below gives the relationship between the drag coefficient cD and the Reynolds number Re for spheres.

Re 10-1 100 101 102 103 104 105
cD 240 26.5 4.10 1.07 0.46 0.40 0.41

A spherical steel ball falling through a large expanse of oil attained a terminal velocity of 3.7 m s-1. What was the diameter of the steel ball?
Data: density of steel = 7800 kg m-3, density of oil = 920 kg m-3, viscosity of oil = 0.23 Pa s.

Homework Equations

Obviously F=ma=ρV * a
Everything else is provided in the question except the sphere's diameter.

The Attempt at a Solution

I had a method of equating both equations to "D" (diameter) since it is the variable which we wish to solve for. However, my lecturer told me I would only find the correct solution using one of the data point, which means this method is not efficient and won't get me any points. HELP please.

Physics news on Phys.org
freedomstatue said:

Homework Statement

From dimensional analysis it is found that the drag force F that a fluid (density ρ, viscosity μ) exerts on a sphere (diameter d) moving through a fluid at a velocity u is given by

cD = f(Re),

where
The table below gives the relationship between the drag coefficient cD and the Reynolds number Re for spheres.

Re 10-1 100 101 102 103 104 105
cD 240 26.5 4.10 1.07 0.46 0.40 0.41

A spherical steel ball falling through a large expanse of oil attained a terminal velocity of 3.7 m s-1. What was the diameter of the steel ball?
Data: density of steel = 7800 kg m-3, density of oil = 920 kg m-3, viscosity of oil = 0.23 Pa s.

Homework Equations

Obviously F=ma=ρV * a
Everything else is provided in the question except the sphere's diameter.

The Attempt at a Solution

I had a method of equating both equations to "D" (diameter) since it is the variable which we wish to solve for. However, my lecturer told me I would only find the correct solution using one of the data point, which means this method is not efficient and won't get me any points. HELP please.

The sphere attaining a terminal velocity means that it is not accelerating, and a = 0. There are three forces acting on the sphere that are in equilibrium when the terminal velocity is attained. What are these three forces?

What is drag coefficient and how is it calculated?

Drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that is used to quantify the resistance of an object moving through a fluid. It is calculated by dividing the drag force on an object by the product of the fluid density, the object's velocity, and the reference area of the object.

Why is drag coefficient important in fluid dynamics?

Drag coefficient is important in fluid dynamics because it helps us understand the forces acting on an object moving through a fluid. It allows us to predict the amount of drag force that will be experienced by an object and how it will affect its motion.

What is Reynolds number and what does it represent?

Reynolds number is a dimensionless quantity that is used to determine the type of flow that occurs around an object. It represents the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces and is used to classify flow as either laminar or turbulent.

What is the relationship between drag coefficient and Reynolds number?

The relationship between drag coefficient and Reynolds number is complex and depends on various factors such as object shape, fluid properties, and flow conditions. Generally, as Reynolds number increases, the drag coefficient decreases for laminar flow and increases for turbulent flow.

How do drag coefficient and Reynolds number affect the design of an object?

Drag coefficient and Reynolds number play a crucial role in the design of an object that moves through a fluid. Engineers use these values to optimize the shape and size of an object to reduce drag and improve its performance. A lower drag coefficient and a specific Reynolds number range can result in increased speed and efficiency for the object.