1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing a simple vector field issue

1. Mar 22, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone i'm not sure if this is right or not...

If i have

F(x,y,z) = zj; where j is the vector, j hat.

Would that be all vectors are going to be pointing up if you assume z is up, and are in the y plane?

If the coordinate sytem is, z is up, y is to the right, and x is pointing at you.

If i had F(x,y,z) = yj; the answer is, No vectors emanate from the xz plane since y = 0 there. In each plane y = b, all the vectors are identical.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. j is a unit vector pointing in the same direction as the +y axis. Which you seem to want to call 'right'. The length of the vectors is proportional to their z coordinate. What is the 'y plane'? What does 'in' a plane mean? Parallel to?

4. Mar 22, 2007 #3
    I worked it out and it seems the vectors are pointing parrallel to the +y axis which is pointing right, for values > 0, and for values < 0 its pointing to the left or in the -y direction.

5. Mar 22, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the right picture (where 'values' means z, right).

6. Mar 22, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

z is a number, j is a vector pointing in the positive y direction. Your vector field consists of vector pointing in the positive y direction, longer as z increases. (And pointing in the negative y direction for z negative.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?