Drawing complex integration contours

In summary, the conversation was about finding software to make drawing complex integration contours easier for writing lecture notes. The suggested options were asymptote and Geogebra for those with TeX, or using PostScript pictures with a few commands. The conversation also touched on the use of commands for plotting a contour with a square root transformation.
luisgml_2000
Hi!

I'm writing some lecture notes and I need to draw some complex integration contours. Is there any software to make this task easier?

Thanks for your attention!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have TeX I recommend asymptote, if you don't I recommend Geogebra.

Why not make PostScript pictures? You only need a few commands to define even quite complicated contours.

Hello, thanks for your replies. I´ll look out for asymptote and Geogebra; by the way, what kind of (latex?) commands do I need to plot the contour (basically a straight line on the complex plane which undergoes a square root transformation)?

Thanks a lot!

1. How do you determine the correct integration contour to use?

The best way to determine the correct integration contour is to analyze the function being integrated and identify any singularities or branch cuts. Then, choose a contour that avoids these points and encloses the desired region of integration.

2. What is the purpose of using complex integration contours?

Complex integration contours allow for the evaluation of integrals over more complicated regions and functions that cannot be easily integrated using traditional real analysis methods. They also provide a way to bypass singularities and branch cuts in the complex plane.

3. How do you handle poles and branch cuts in the integration contour?

Poles and branch cuts can be handled by either avoiding them completely in the chosen contour or by using techniques such as keyhole or branch cut avoidance to integrate around them. It is important to carefully analyze the function and choose the most appropriate method for handling these points.

4. Can you give an example of a complex integration contour?

One example of a complex integration contour is a rectangular contour that encloses a pole at the origin. The contour would consist of four lines connecting the points (0,0), (a,0), (a,b), and (0,b), where a and b are chosen to avoid the pole at the origin.

5. How do you know if you have chosen the correct integration contour?

To ensure that the chosen integration contour is correct, it is important to check that the integral evaluates to the same value regardless of the chosen contour within the same region. Additionally, the contour should be chosen in a way that simplifies the integral and makes it easier to evaluate.