Drift velocity formula derivation confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of drift velocity and the use of two different equations of motion in the proof. The first equation, s=ut +\frac{1}{2}at^{2}, is appropriate for finding the average velocity of electrons, while the second equation, v=u+at, would require a quantum mechanical approach. However, the classical mechanics approach is still valid within certain limits, as seen in the Drude model and Ohm's Law.
swap1996
In the derivation of drift velocity i have seen two variations and want to know which one's correct.
  • s=ut +[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]a[itex]t^{2}[/itex]
    Assume that the drift velocity of any electron in any conductor is :
    [itex]v_{d}[/itex]=l/t
    Due to the electric field the acceleration of electrons in any conductor is:
    a=eE/m
    Now the distance traveled by an electron after a long time (initial thermal velocity = 0)
    l=[itex]\frac{at^{2}}{2}[/itex]
    the time between the collisions is τ ∴
    l=[itex]\frac{eEτ^{2}}{2m}[/itex]
    thus the velocity is
    [itex]v_{d}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{eEτ}{2m}[/itex]

• In another proof i saw the author using v=u+at⟹[itex]v_{d}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{eEτ}{m}[/itex]
My question is which of the the two equations of motion can be used in the proof? Can they be used at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since we are talking about 'average velocity' so the former derivation would be appropriate.However i don't think using classical mechanics for finding the velocity of particles like electrons would be appropriate,i think this requires quantum mechanical approach.

projjal said:
Since we are talking about 'average velocity' so the former derivation would be appropriate.However i don't think using classical mechanics for finding the velocity of particles like electrons would be appropriate,i think this requires quantum mechanical approach.

It is appropriate when the limits of the validity of such an approach is taken into account. The Drude model is based on such an approach (which is where we get the beloved Ohm's Law). So it is valid whenever appropriate.

Zz.

1. What is the drift velocity formula for charged particles?

The drift velocity formula for charged particles is v = (I * t) / (n * A * q), where v is the drift velocity, I is the current, t is the time, n is the number of charge carriers per unit volume, A is the cross-sectional area, and q is the charge of the particle.

2. How is the drift velocity formula derived?

The drift velocity formula is derived from the equation for current, which is I = n * A * q * v, where I is the current, n is the number of charge carriers, A is the cross-sectional area, q is the charge of the particle, and v is the velocity. By rearranging this equation, we can get the formula for drift velocity.

3. What is the confusion surrounding the derivation of the drift velocity formula?

The confusion surrounding the derivation of the drift velocity formula is mainly due to the use of different symbols and units. Some sources may use different symbols or units for the same variables, leading to confusion and discrepancies in the final formula. It is important to use consistent symbols and units when deriving the formula.

4. Can the drift velocity formula be used for all types of charged particles?

Yes, the drift velocity formula can be used for all types of charged particles, as long as the variables are adjusted accordingly. For example, if the particle has a different charge than the one used in the formula, the value of q can be changed to match the charge of the particle.

5. How can I use the drift velocity formula in real-life applications?

The drift velocity formula is commonly used in various fields such as electronics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the velocity of charged particles in different materials, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of electricity and designing electronic devices. It is also used in the study of semiconductors, where the movement of charged particles plays a significant role in their properties and applications.