Drift velocity: Why not 1/2 *t*(eE/m)

In summary, the drift velocity of an electron in a wire is defined as tau*(E*e/m) instead of 1/2 *tau* (eE/m) because it represents the velocity attained before a collision, which is the maximum velocity of the electron. The average thermal velocity is not taken into account in this equation, and the velocity addition from accelerating in the field before the next collision remains. The factor of 2 comes from considering the average time since the last collision, which gives the momentum of tau*Ee/m. This is unrelated to the physics at hand and is not taken into account in the derivation of drift velocity.
HeinrichH
Why is the drift velocity of an electron in a wire defined as: tau*(E*e/m) and not 1/2 *tau* (eE/m) as it is the AVERAGE VELOCITY!? because the above defintion of drift velocity is the velocity that is attained before the collision so rather the maximum velocity of the elctron, isn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps work through the calculation...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bihuAgAAQBAJ&lpg=PA225&ots=C_dhBLnKtJ&dq=drift velocity of an electron e/m&pg=PA224#v=onepage&q=drift velocity of an electron e/m&f=false

Edit: That should link to page 224.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot :) but unfortunately once again doesn't explain why one multiplies with tau, and therefore uses the maximun/final velocity of the elctron before each collision instead of its average velocity.

The average thermal velocity drops out of the equations, and the velocity addition from accelerating in the field before the next collision remains.

What the electron is doing is akin to running down a slope (the field) into a head wind (the collisions). It is the slope adding a running speed, rather than the previous walking speed while looking at the birds and smelling the flowers (random thermal velocity over a population), that decides the final speed of the balance slope/head wind.

If it is the similar looking relation between the field and the average thermal velocity that trips you up, I suggest you study how the latter comes about. (Quite frankly, I have forgotten. But it looks intuitively correct, the field would heat the electrons.) But it is unrelated to the physics at hand.

Torbjorn_L said:
The average thermal velocity drops out of the equations, and the velocity addition from accelerating in the field before the next collision remains.

What the electron is doing is akin to running down a slope (the field) into a head wind (the collisions). It is the slope adding a running speed, rather than the previous walking speed while looking at the birds and smelling the flowers (random thermal velocity over a population), that decides the final speed of the balance slope/head wind.

If it is the similar looking relation between the field and the average thermal velocity that trips you up, I suggest you study how the latter comes about. (Quite frankly, I have forgotten. But it looks intuitively correct, the field would heat the electrons.) But it is unrelated to the physics at hand.

First of all thank you for the quick reply, but, sorry, I'm not a native speaker and when you start talking about flowers and the like as well as the slope comparison, I don'T have a clue what you are trying to say...

HeinrichH said:
Thanks a lot this seems to be the answer to my problem :).

Really? Where the extra factor 2 comes from is a lot simpler than that.

If you look at an eletron that has just collided, than it will have a mean time of τ before it's next collison, but you now overrepresent short time intervals in the average time.
You should choose a random electron, and that one will also have an average time of τ before the next collision, but also an average time of τ since the last collsion. (If the times follow the exponential distribution) The average time since the last collision will give you the momentum of τEe/m

1. What is drift velocity?

Drift velocity is the average velocity at which free charged particles, such as electrons, move in a material under the influence of an electric field.

2. What is the equation for calculating drift velocity?

The equation for calculating drift velocity is v = μE, where v is the drift velocity, μ is the material's mobility, and E is the electric field strength.

3. Why is the equation for drift velocity not 1/2 *t*(eE/m)?

The equation 1/2 *t*(eE/m) is a simplified version that assumes a constant acceleration, but in reality, the acceleration of particles in a material is not constant. Therefore, this equation is not accurate for calculating drift velocity.

4. How does drift velocity relate to current?

The drift velocity of charged particles is directly proportional to the current in a material. This means that as the drift velocity increases, so does the current, and vice versa.

5. What factors affect the drift velocity in a material?

The drift velocity in a material can be affected by the strength of the electric field, the mobility of the particles in the material, and any external forces that may act on the particles, such as collisions or impurities.