1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Drinking glasses break suddenly

1. Feb 2, 2017 #1
    Hi, As the title said, I had 3 glasses store water in my room near the window. I drank 1 and a half of 3 glasses water and go to sleep. But after about 4 or 5 hours when i still sleep i hear some loud sound and woke up, I saw 1 empty glass broke in half and 1 still had some water broke. The water inside those glasses is cool tape water and the room temperature at that time is about 20 degrees ( cause it was around 2am). I know that many people asked this question but I think that my case is different from them cause I always use cool water and never bring those glasses near the sun light. Sorry if my English is too bad cause English is not my mother language.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2017 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

C or F ?

4. Feb 2, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Can you post a picture of where the glasses were, and what they look like now that they are broken? How old are the glasses? Do you have roommates? Do you ever play jokes on each other?

5. Feb 2, 2017 #4
    Hi, Firstly, It is 20 Degreee in C scale. Andfor the second question, sorry but I have thrown it away cause it will be very dangerous to keep broken glass around. And I live in my own room alone, I bought those glasses about 1 year or 2 years ago. I wil describe it for you guys, the first glass was empty and it broke in half, the bottom is okay but the top had many cracks. The second one broke just a part of the top, about 10cm long. And I don't know why but the places where it broke apart are not sharp.

6. Feb 3, 2017 #5
    Is anything else out of place from where you left it when you went to sleep?

"i hear some loud sound and wake up" signifies something.
    Perhaps a cause and effect relationship might be in order, "I woke up and heard a loud sound.". Would it be safe to say that a sleeping person can be awakened by a disturbance, but would not be able to identify the disturbance, unless it continues to some extent after the awakening giving the senses and brain sufficient time to become aware.
    So what you think you heard may not be the actual breaking of the glasses, but some of the pieces falling to the floor. Even so, that does not account for the "loud" part. Look for something on the floor, under your bed, in the corner, that if falling onto glasses, would break then, causing a sound for you to quickly awaken, for you to then hear a loud sound as the object hits the desk, counter, window ledge, floor, which you then attribute as the disturbance which woke you. Anything not hanging from the ceiling anymore?

( Other than that, your cat did it. )

7. Feb 3, 2017 #6
    For what you have said, I think there was nothing like that. Because I put those glasses on a space next to the window and there is nothing around there. At first, I think that may be I kicked it when I sleep but after looking at how it broke I think that It was not the case here because if i kicked it it should reflect after hit the window and fly onto my bed. But those glasses just broke and laid as where i put it, nothing scattered just 4 pieces of glasses. Also I've check again after I wake up (5:00am) but nothing was falling under my bed or anything like that, If you need a picture of where i put it please tell me.

8. Feb 3, 2017 #7
    Addition: After checking the place i put those glasses carefully, I've seen about 6 or 7 tiny piece of glasses.

9. Feb 3, 2017 #8
    By the way, My bed is next to the window so it can't fall onto the ground, If it does fall it must fall on my bed.

10. Feb 3, 2017 #9
    Do you live in a country that is prone to earthquakes or tremors?

11. Feb 3, 2017 #10
    A maybe more mundane explanation might also be sleepwalking.

12. Feb 3, 2017 #11
    Do live near any RF transmissions, particularly microwave?

13. Feb 3, 2017 #12

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do you have reason to believe that this could cause drinking glasses to break?

14. Feb 3, 2017 #13

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's odd that two glasses broke at exactly the same time. I think you turned over and accidentally knocked them.

15. Feb 3, 2017 #14
    I have experienced the same thing , which happened when a bottle of honey broke into pieces in the morning no temp variation , just it happened,
    it might be due to a defect in the glass itself ,same explanation applicable in this case also.

16. Feb 3, 2017 #15
    It can't be kicked because I put 2 glasses next to each other and when i wake up the one break in half is lie down and the other one is still standing. For more specific, I put those together so that mean it can't be separated like that. If i really kicked it, all the glasses should be all falling down not 1 stand and 1 fall. Ah, Sorry because i forgot to say this. Those glasses didn't break as the same time cause the one still standing broke when i gonna sleep again.

17. Feb 3, 2017 #16
    My room is pretty far from the kitchen and at night only clock and the bedlight was still working. I didn't charge anything at night too.

18. Feb 3, 2017 #17
    In general, I live in Australia and I have never experience those things before.

19. Feb 6, 2017 #18
    What did the loud sound sound like?
    I think some animal got in and broke them.

20. Feb 6, 2017 #19

OCR

Or, maybe a bird... they can also make some really strange sounds...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] lol

21. Feb 7, 2017 #20
    As I said, I live in my room alone, So that mean I don't have any pet and the sound i heard clearly is the glass break sound, My window can't be open so that why I'm so confused. I don't know what broke the glasses and if there are any effects from weather, temperature or many even gravity... I really want to know what cause this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook