Driving force of a car experiment

In summary, the car is driving at a speed of 60km/h and then the engine gets deactivated. After 7.2 seconds, the speed decreases to 55km/h. The car has a mass of 1450 kg and the driving force is -2012N.
Fred Hill

Homework Statement

A car driving at a speed of 60km/h at a horizontal road.
The car accelerates to 65km/h, and then the engine gets deactivated. The speed then decreases to 55km/h in a time of 7,2 seconds.
The mass of the car is 1450 kg(the car, passenger etc...)

Homework Equations

What is the driving force of a car that's driving at the speed of 60km/h?

The Attempt at a Solution

Tex2Img_1492198907.jpg

Tex2Img_1492199121.jpg

Until here I'm not understanding so much, I thought maybe to subtract the sum of the forces by the mass, but I do not can't find a reasoning for that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fred Hill said:
View attachment 194718

Until here I'm not understanding so much, I thought maybe to subtract the sum of the forces by the mass, but I do not can't find a reasoning for that.

This force ##F = -2012N## that you have found. What do you think that is?

PeroK said:
This force ##F = -2012N## that you have found. What do you think that is?
I think that is the net force, that tells me that the car is accelerating.

Fred Hill said:
I think that is the unbalanced net force, that tells me that the car is accelerating.

Okay, so what causes this force?

PeroK said:
Okay, so what causes this force?
An unbalanced force in one direction. I think it is the friction force?

Fred Hill said:
An unbalanced force in one direction. I think it is the friction force?

If you've ever ridden a bicycle, you should have some experience of air resistance. There will be other resisting forces, but for a car that is the main one.

The question is: do you think air resistance and other resisting forces apply when the car is moving at a constant 60km/h?

PeroK said:
If you've ever ridden a bicycle, you should have some experience of air resistance. There will be other resisting forces, but for a car that is the main one.

The question is: do you think air resistance and other resisting forces apply when the car is moving at a constant 60km/h?
Yes, I think those resisting forces is what keeps a car at a constant speed. But then when the driving forces stop, the resisting forces increase, which causes the car to slow down?

Fred Hill said:
Yes, I think those resisting forces is what keeps a car at a constant speed. But then when the driving forces stop, the resisting forces increase, which causes the car to slow down?

That's an odd way to look at it! Why should the resisting forces increase when you stop driving?

What about if the resisting forces stay the same, whether you are driving or not?

PeroK said:
That's an odd way to look at it! Why should the resisting forces increase when you stop driving?

What about if the resisting forces stay the same, whether you are driving or not?
Yes, you are right. The resisting forces won't increase I assume. If the car is still, it means the resisting forces and the driving forces are equal?

But then it's the driving force which is decreasing? While the resisting forces are the same. I may be very lost.

Fred Hill said:
Yes, you are right. The resisting forces won't increase I assume. If the car is still, it means the resisting forces and the driving forces are equal?

But then it's the driving force which is decreasing? While the resisting forces are the same. I may be very lost.

If the engine is not driving the car, then it will slow down (due to various resisting forces).

If the engine is driving the car, but the car is moving at constant speed, then the drving force of the engine must equal the resisting forces. Does that seem logical?

Likes Fred Hill and PeroK
PeroK said:
If the engine is not driving the car, then it will slow down (due to various resisting forces).

If the engine is driving the car, but the car is moving at constant speed, then the drving force of the engine must equal the resisting forces. Does that seem logical?
Yes, according to Newtons first law I would think it is?

willem2 said:
You need some unit conversion. If you want to use F=ma with F in Newtons and m in kg, a will have to have units of ms-2
Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of the driving force of a car experiment?

The purpose of the driving force of a car experiment is to measure and analyze the force required to move a car forward. This can help researchers understand the mechanics of how a car moves and improve the design and performance of vehicles.

2. How is the driving force of a car experiment conducted?

The driving force of a car experiment typically involves using a dynamometer, which is a device that measures force, to determine the amount of force required to move a car forward. The car is placed on the dynamometer and different amounts of force are applied to the wheels to measure the force needed to move the car at various speeds.

3. What factors can affect the driving force of a car?

The driving force of a car can be affected by several factors, such as the weight of the car, the type of tires used, the condition of the road, and the slope of the road. These factors can impact the amount of force needed to move the car and can also affect the overall performance and efficiency of the car.

4. How is the driving force of a car experiment useful?

The driving force of a car experiment is useful for understanding the principles of motion and mechanics involved in driving a car. It can also help car manufacturers and engineers improve the design and performance of vehicles by providing valuable data on the force required for different driving conditions.

5. What are some potential applications of the driving force of a car experiment?

Some potential applications of the driving force of a car experiment include developing more efficient engines, improving fuel economy, and enhancing safety features in cars. It can also be used in research and development of new technologies, such as electric or self-driving cars, to optimize their performance and efficiency.