Car low average speed vs aero drag relation

In summary, the conversation discusses the average speed of driving a car and its relation to aero drag. The speaker mentions that they often drive at speeds of 100-120km/h on country roads and have noticed that their average speed is always much lower, around 40-48km/h. They question why this is and whether it means that cars with lower average speeds do not require good aerodynamics. However, others in the conversation point out that the average speed is affected by factors such as idling and city driving, and that aero drag is still important even at lower speeds. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the average speed of a car will settle around a certain point based on the type of driving it is used for.
Jurgen M
I drive car only at country roads allways at speeds 100-120km/h, no city and no idle time-heating engine etc.

Why computer allways show very low average speed , 40-48km/h?I allways have feeling that this speed is too low because I allways drive way faster then this. Indeed all my friends have low average speed, max 55km/h.

Math says this is same that you drive car at 40km/h all the time,so average speed implies that aero drag is not importnat, because drag is irrelevant at 40km/h speeds.

So how can we describe average speed/aero drag relation, can we conclude that car with low average speed don't need good aerodynamics?
Math says yes, but my logic say no, because I drive car mostly from 100-120km/h..

Is anyone here with average speed 100km/h or more?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all what average speed? Of a trip? Since your last fuel refill? Since the first time driven (when the car was bought)?
My car measures average speed for a trip which is usually 900km, this roughly translates to 14 days (I reset trip when I refuel). Of course I cannot drive 900km for 14 days at 100km/h, so it's logical that the average speed will be way lower than that.
Average speed is usually computed with distance over time, I don't see what aero drag have to do with this simple calculation.
Have you tried reseting the average speed counter when you start doing 100km/h and read the average speed before you fall under 100km/h?

Jurgen M said:
Math says this is same that you drive car at 40km/h all the time,so average speed implies that aero drag is not importnat, because drag is irrelevant at 40km/h speeds.

So how can we describe average speed/aero drag relation, can we conclude that car with low average speed don't need good aerodynamics?
Math says yes, but my logic say no, because I drive car mostly from 100-120km/h..
No, it's not the same. If you drive 80 km/h for half an hour and wait at a red light for half an hour, you will not get the same energy spent as if you would have driven 40 km/h for an hour. It requires 4 times the amount of energy:
$$\frac{E_{80}}{E_{40}} = \frac{F_{80}d}{F_{40}d} = \frac{F_{80}}{F_{40}} = \frac{80^2}{40^2} = 4$$
And that is assuming the car is not idling and consuming fuel when at rest.

Likes Jurgen M and Lnewqban
Motore said:
First of all what average speed? Of a trip? Since your last fuel refill? Since the first time driven (when the car was bought)?
My car measures average speed for a trip which is usually 900km, this roughly translates to 14 days (I reset trip when I refuel). Of course I cannot drive 900km for 14 days at 100km/h, so it's logical that the average speed will be way lower than that.
Average speed is usually computed with distance over time, I don't see what aero drag have to do with this simple calculation.
Have you tried reseting the average speed counter when you start doing 100km/h and read the average speed before you fall under 100km/h?
My average speed is allways about 40,50km/h, last 800km,last 5000km or last 10 000km..
I didnt try that,but speed must then be above 100km/h..

jack action said:
No, it's not the same. If you drive 80 km/h for half an hour and wait at a red light for half an hour, you will not get the same energy spent as if you would have driven 40 km/h for an hour. It requires 4 times the amount of energy:
$$\frac{E_{80}}{E_{40}} = \frac{F_{80}d}{F_{40}d} = \frac{F_{80}}{F_{40}} = \frac{80^2}{40^2} = 4$$
And that is assuming the car is not idling and consuming fuel when at rest.
Yes that make sense.

Jurgen M said:
My average speed is allways about 40,50km/h, last 800km,last 5000km or last 10 000km..
My car has also the average speed from when it was bought till now, which is about 53km/h for 170000km. And it won't change much, because I use my car for driving in cities, conutrysides, when there is congestion, road works, highways, ...
To me it seems logical that it will settle around a particular average speed.

1. What is the relationship between car low average speed and aero drag?

The relationship between car low average speed and aero drag is inverse. This means that as the car's speed decreases, the aero drag increases.

2. Why does a car experience more aero drag at lower speeds?

At lower speeds, the air molecules have more time to collide with the car's surface. This creates a larger area of high pressure in front of the car and low pressure behind it, resulting in more resistance or drag.

3. How does a car's shape affect aero drag at low speeds?

The shape of a car plays a significant role in the amount of aero drag it experiences at low speeds. A more streamlined and aerodynamic shape will have less drag compared to a bulky or boxy shape.

4. Can a car's weight impact its aero drag at low speeds?

Yes, a car's weight can affect its aero drag at low speeds. A heavier car will require more power to overcome the increased drag, resulting in lower average speeds.

5. How can a driver reduce aero drag at low speeds?

There are a few ways a driver can reduce aero drag at low speeds. These include keeping the car's windows closed, using a roof rack only when necessary, and maintaining proper tire pressure. Additionally, driving at a steady and consistent speed can also help reduce aero drag at low speeds.