Building a Drone from Scratch - Where to Start?

In summary, if you want to build a drone, you will need: an airframemotorsmotor speed controllerspropsflight controllerbatterywiring, mounting brackets
Asad Raza
I am planning to make a drone in near time. I have absolutely zero pre-requisite knowledge of the technical stuff and drone designs. I am going to start with a basic drone. Can somebody help me out as to how many types of drones are there, where should I commence etc?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It all depends on what you're hoping to achieve. The main factors will be requisite payload and size, flight controller capabilities, and budget. I would recommend a kit for a start, which would give all of the parts required to build one from scratch.

Separately, you should also consider purchasing an inexpensive drone (max $40) from Amazon to practice your flight skills. You'll crash a lot when you first start, it's easier when you're crashing a cheap one first...

I asked one of my teachers to help me out, and he said that which kind of a drone you want to build? Propeller based.. etc
Are there any different types of drones too?

Most drones (multi-rotor) are prebuilt. For specialized drones, you can buy components, frame, motors, propellers, controller, ... from drone component suppliers. As suggested for your first drone, you should buy a cheap drone that includes a self-stability mode.

Can someone please mention a list of all the basic components I'll be needing. I'd be most certainly glad.

Asad Raza said:
Can someone please mention a list of all the basic components I'll be needing. I'd be most certainly glad.

Probably not, as the components you need depend on what you want to do with the drone. Obviously you'll need an air-frame, engines, and a way to control it. If you want to get any more specific than that you'll need to decide what you want to do with it. A tiny drone designed for indoors use will be very different from one designed to follow along behind a snowboarder, filming him as he rushes down a mountain slope.

As you say you are completely new to drones, I suggest purchasing a 'Drones for Dummies' book or equivalent. That should give you a good general overview of drones. Until you learn at least some of the basics it's pointless to ask for a list of components.

Likes Bystander
For the basics you're going to need:
  • Frame
  • Motors
  • Motor Speed Controllers
  • Props
  • Flight Controller
  • Battery
  • Assorted wiring, mounting brackets
You really ought to spend 3 minutes and just do a basic search on "how to build a drone," There are tons of resources out there. As before, I recommend you start with an inexpensive ready-to-fly model to learn the flight basics and crash a few times, and then either buy a pre-built kit or a kit with all of the parts necessary.

Someone new to the area shouldn't try building one from scratch, you don't even know what kind of components you want yet!

Thank you for the wise words. Thank you everyone :)

1. What materials do I need to build a drone from scratch?

To build a drone from scratch, you will need a frame, motors, propellers, a flight controller, batteries, a transmitter and receiver, and other small components such as wires, soldering iron, and a power distribution board. You will also need basic tools like pliers, screwdrivers, and a heat gun.

2. Do I need any technical knowledge to build a drone from scratch?

Yes, building a drone from scratch requires some technical knowledge. You will need to understand basic electronics and have some experience with soldering. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of how drones work and how to program the flight controller.

3. How much does it cost to build a drone from scratch?

The cost of building a drone from scratch can vary depending on the quality of materials and components you choose. On average, it can cost anywhere from $200 to $1000 or more. It is important to research and compare prices before purchasing to stay within your budget.

4. What is the most difficult part of building a drone from scratch?

The most difficult part of building a drone from scratch is soldering the electronic components together. This requires precision and patience, as well as some technical knowledge. It is important to follow instructions carefully and double-check your connections to avoid any issues with the functioning of the drone.

5. Can I customize my drone if I build it from scratch?

Yes, building a drone from scratch allows for a lot of customization. You can choose the frame, motors, and other components based on your specific needs and preferences. You can also add features like a camera or GPS if desired. However, it is important to ensure that all components are compatible with each other to avoid any issues with the functionality of the drone.