Calculate the load on an vehicle Engine

In summary, Jana has a project to design a special engine but is struggling with where to start. They are seeking advice on how to begin the design process and are unsure of how to calculate the load on a vehicle engine. Another person suggests starting by deciding on the engine's capacity and required output power, designing the stroke length and diameter based on that, and using overall efficiency to calculate the force required on the piston. They also suggest drawing a PV diagram based on initial and maximum pressure and volume to gain a better understanding.
JANA91
Dear Friends,

Hi Everyone. I am Planning to Design a Special Engine. I got with an Idea but got Struck on Starting the Design. I do think many has the Same Problem "Starting Trouble". Could someone tell me where to Start the Engine Design? Please...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Show us what you have and where you got stuck. We need a lot more information.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Show us what you have and where you got stuck. We need a lot more information.
I got Stuck from the very Beginning. I don't know how to Calculate the load on an vehicle Engine.

JANA91 said:
Dear Friends,

Hi Everyone. I am Planning to Design a Special Engine. I got with an Idea but got Struck on Starting the Design. I do think many has the Same Problem "Starting Trouble". Could someone tell me where to Start the Engine Design? Please...
Hey Jana . I had a engine design project in my senior year. Decide the capacity of the engine (cc) and the required output power. Design the stroke length and diameter based on the cc. Assuming a certain overall efficiency, calculate the force required on the piston (ie, the maximum pressure in the combustion chamber). Based on the initial and maximum P and V, draw the PV diagram. That should hopefully give you an idea :-)

Likes felmon38

1. How do you calculate the load on a vehicle engine?

To calculate the load on a vehicle engine, you need to know the engine's torque and the vehicle's speed. The formula for calculating load is torque multiplied by speed. The load will vary depending on the vehicle's weight, incline, and any additional resistance.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the load on an engine?

Calculating the load on an engine is important for understanding its performance and efficiency. It can also help determine if the engine is being overworked or underutilized, which can impact its lifespan and maintenance needs.

3. How does the load on an engine affect fuel efficiency?

The load on an engine is directly related to its fuel efficiency. A heavier load will require more fuel to maintain the same speed, while a lighter load will require less fuel. It's important to find the right balance to optimize fuel efficiency and reduce emissions.

4. Can the load on an engine be too high?

Yes, the load on an engine can be too high. When the load exceeds the engine's capacity, it can lead to overheating, increased wear and tear, and potential breakdowns. It's important to monitor and control the load on an engine to avoid these issues.

5. How can the load on an engine be reduced?

The load on an engine can be reduced by lightening the vehicle's weight, reducing resistance (such as aerodynamic drag), and driving at a slower speed. Proper maintenance and tuning of the engine can also help improve its efficiency and reduce the load. Additionally, using alternative fuels or hybrid technologies can also reduce the load on an engine.