Droplets on a solid / liquid surface (engineering)

In summary, the conversation revolves around the importance of studying a particular topic and the ways in which one can approach it. The speakers also discuss the role of a supervisor in guiding and providing concise information on the topic of research. The conversation ends with a discussion on the need for personal effort and research before seeking help from others.
binbagsss
Why is it important to study this?

And what makes them interesting to study?

Science news on Phys.org
Did you look it up?

sophiecentaur said:
Did you look it up?
Yes but it's a vague and a lot of information. To try and summarise. Whereas someone who knows the field well could answer consicisely and quickly...

binbagsss said:
Whereas someone who knows the field well could answer consicisely and quickly...
Yeah, and save you from getting to grips with and understanding the problem. You must know that isn't the PF style. tut tut.

Show you have actually done something and your responses will be a lot more lavish.

Likes jrmichler
sophiecentaur said:
Yeah, and save you from getting to grips with and understanding the problem. You must know that isn't the PF style. tut tut.
Nope. I don't have a problem to solve
Don't judge. Wondering whether to pursue a PhD in this area or not.

Most of us who actually have PhD's put a lot more thought into the topic of our research than what is apparent from your question.

Likes berkeman and Vanadium 50
binbagsss said:
Don't judge. Wondering whether to pursue a PhD in this area or not.

If this is how you Approach something that you don’t know, then I don’t think you should pursue a PhD in anything.

Zz.

Likes berkeman, sophiecentaur and jrmichler
Knew these answers were coming, thing is you could do hours of reading on the Internet, then show up to the interview and the supervisor will explain the key points very consisely and then ask if I'm interested. Now you're going to say why don't I do that then. Because, give me someoje who wouldn't rather get a bit of background before the interview.

binbagsss said:
I'd have thought that you have a very important problem to solve here. The choice of future career is certainly not a "no" problem.
binbagsss said:
the supervisor will explain the key points very consisely and then ask if I'm interested.
So it's up to the supervisor to persuade you that he needs to take you on? Get real.
ZapperZ said:
If this is how you Approach something that you don’t know, then I don’t think you should pursue a PhD in anything.
+1

Likes berkeman
sophiecentaur said:
I'd have thought that you have a very important problem to solve here. The choice of future career is certainly not a "no" problem.

So it's up to the supervisor to persuade you that he needs to take you on? Get real.

+1
You twist. Everything alot, and yiu seem to think you need to be right and can't be corrected. How did I say it'sii up to them yo persuade me? I could go to a supervisor and ask or professor them whether I should do hours of reading or find something consisely,since obvioualy I won't have the skills to know what to look at / at what depth etc, whereas a supervisor would much better know. And you know what the answer would.be
It's ok to be wrong you know.

binbagsss said:
You twist. Everything alot, and yiu seem to think you need to be right and can't be corrected. How did I say it'sii up to them yo persuade me? I could go to a supervisor and ask or professor them whether I should do hours of reading or find something consisely,since obvioualy I won't have the skills to know what to look at / at what depth etc, whereas a supervisor would much better know. And you know what the answer would.be
It's ok to be wrong you know.
So you want PF to do the research for you and give you just the right bite sized chunks that you will need if you want to convince an expert that you know something?
Even if some PF member feeds you some information, how will you have confidence that it's not just BS, if you have done no work yourself? Don't you think that would be totally transparent to your prospective interview panel?
You could at least make an effort and find out something for yourself, after which you could ask PF a properly directed question. You could even read some stuff the supervisor has written.

Because of the lack of effort shown by the OP (and an insulting post that has been deleted), this thread is closed.

1. What causes droplets to form on a solid or liquid surface?

Droplets form on a solid or liquid surface due to the surface tension of the liquid. This is the force that holds the molecules of a liquid together and causes it to form droplets when placed on a surface.

2. How does the surface tension affect the shape of droplets on a surface?

The surface tension of a liquid determines the shape of droplets on a surface. A liquid with high surface tension will form spherical droplets, while a liquid with low surface tension will spread out and form flatter droplets.

3. What is the contact angle of a droplet on a surface and how is it measured?

The contact angle is the angle formed between the droplet and the surface it is resting on. It is measured by drawing a tangent line at the point where the droplet meets the surface and measuring the angle between this line and the surface.

4. How do different surface properties affect droplet behavior on a surface?

The surface properties of a solid or liquid surface, such as roughness, surface energy, and chemical composition, can affect the behavior of droplets on the surface. These properties can impact the contact angle, adhesion, and spreading of droplets on the surface.

5. What are some applications of understanding droplet behavior on surfaces?

Understanding droplet behavior on surfaces is important in various fields, including materials science, engineering, and biotechnology. It can be used to develop coatings that repel or attract droplets for self-cleaning surfaces, improve the efficiency of heat transfer in cooling systems, and study the interactions of droplets with biological surfaces.