Dropping a ball and calculating its speed.

In summary, the question asks for the speed of a 20kg ball dropped from a height of 50m, neglecting air resistance. The correct formula to use is vf = vi + at, where a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). The initial velocity is 0 m/s, and the distance traveled is 50m. Using conservation of energy, we can also find the speed of the ball at the end of the fall to be approximately 31.3 m/s.
msorm

Homework Statement

If a person drops a 20kg ball from a height of 50m. What is the speed of the ball before it hits the ground? Neglecting air resistance.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if this is a trick question. The formula I would use to solve this is final velocity = initial velocity + (at).

I think that a would be 9.8 as its the speed of gravity but I don't have the time. Am I using the correct formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

So far, it's all good. But the tricky part of this question is supposed to be finding the time. First off, does it make sense that there is only one possible time that works? (Could there be more than 1 time that works?)

Do you have any ideas about how you could find the time it takes a 20kg ball to fall a height of 50m?

you don't have the time, as you said. Can you think of any kinematic equation that involves initial and final velocities but excludes the time taken?

PE(initial)=KE(final) so you should see mass doesn't even affect anything.

msorm said:

Homework Statement

If a person drops a 20kg ball from a height of 50m. What is the speed of the ball before it hits the ground? Neglecting air resistance.

I'm not sure if this is a trick question. The formula I would use to solve this is final velocity = initial velocity + (at).

I think that a would be 9.8 as its the speed of gravity
but I don't have the time. Am I using the correct formula?
Not "speed" of gravity, acceleration due to gravity. If the acceleration is -9.8 m/s^2 then the speed after t seconds is v= 9.8t+ v0 (v0 is the initial speed and I am taking positive downward) and then the distance traveled is s= 4.8t^2+ v0t. Since the ball is "dropped" the initial speed is 0 so we have v= 9.8t and s= 4.8t^2.

Since the ball falls 50m, solve 4.8t^2= 50 to find t.

msorm said:

Homework Statement

I think that a would be 9.8 as its the speed of gravity but I don't have the time. Am I using the correct formula?

Use conservation of energy.It will be a lot easier.

Is the formula to find velocity -> vf = vi + 2ad.

vf = (0 m/s) + 2(9.81 m/s/s)(50 m)

vf = 0 m/s + 981 m/s

vf = 981 m/s

vf = √(981 m/s) = 31.3 m/s

Can someone confirm if the correct speed of the ball before it hits the ground is 31.3 m/s?

msorm said:
Is the formula to find velocity -> vf = vi + 2ad.

It is wrong.

msorm said:
vf = 981 m/s

vf = √(981 m/s) = 31.3 m/s

vf is both 981 m/s and 31.3 m/s?

ehild

Is the correct answer vf = 31.3 m/s?

Last edited:
Yes, that is correct. At acceleration 9.8 m/s^2, the speed in t seconds is 9.8t m/s and the distance traveled is 4.9t^2. Since the ball fell 50 m you must have 4.9t^2= 50 so that [itex]t= \sqrt{50/4.9}[/itex] and then the speed at the end of the fall is [itex]9.8\sqrt{50/4.9}[/itex] which is approximately 31.3 m/s.

As Satvik Pandey pointed out, you could also use "conservation of energy". Taking the ground as reference point, initially the ball has no kinetic energy because it is not moving but has potential energy, relative to the ground, mgh= m(9.8)(50)= 490m Joules. Just as it hits the ground it has no potential energy so it must have converted to kinetic energy: [itex](1/2)mv^2= 490m[/itex]. The "m" cancels and we have [itex]v^2= 980[/itex] and then [itex]v= \sqrt{980}= 31.3 m/s[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all!

What is the formula for calculating the speed of a dropped ball?

The formula for calculating the speed of a dropped ball is speed = (distance / time), where distance is the distance the ball traveled and time is the time it took to travel that distance.

What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is approximately 9.8 m/s2. This is a constant value that is used in the formula for calculating the speed of a dropped ball.

How do you measure the distance a ball has traveled when dropped?

The distance a ball has traveled when dropped can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. Simply measure the vertical distance from the starting point to where the ball landed.

Can the speed of a dropped ball be affected by air resistance?

Yes, the speed of a dropped ball can be affected by air resistance. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts against the motion of the ball, causing it to slow down. This effect is more noticeable for lighter and larger objects.

How does the mass of a ball affect its speed when dropped?

The mass of a ball does not affect its speed when dropped. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the mass of the ball does not affect its speed, but the force of gravity does.