Dropping a bundle from a plane: Using Newton's Second Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a plane dropping a bundle of supplies to a castaway on a raft. The conversation covers Newton's second law, the position of the bundle as a function of time, and the distance and time interval required for the bundle to hit the raft. The solution involves using vectors to calculate the motions of the bundle.
cytochrome

Homework Statement

A plane, which is flying horizontally at a constant speed v0 and at a height h above the sea, must drop a bundle of supplies to a castaway on a small raft

a) Write down Newton's second law for the bundle as it falls from the plane, assuming you can neglect air resistance. Solve your equations to give the bundle's position in flight as a function of time t.

b)How far before the raft (measured horizontally) must the pilot drop the bundle if it is to hit the raft? What is this distance if v0 = 50m/s, h = 100m, and g ≈ 10m/s^2?

c)Within what interval of time (±Δt) must the pilot drop the bundle if it is to land within ±10m of the raft?

Homework Equations

Fg = (mgcos(θ),mgsin(θ)) = Fnet

The Attempt at a Solution

mx'' = mgcos(θ)
my'' = mgsin(θ)

Integrating once and dividing out the mass gives...

x' = gcos(θ)*t + Cx
y' = gsin(θ)*t + Cy

I know I need to start from the initial conditions to solve for the constants so I can integrate again... But I don't know where to start and I'm concerned with the best choice of axes to use for this problem. Should I have the x-axis along the path of the bundle or at the ocean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's 2nd law,
F=ma.

F/m=dv/dt
v=(F/m)t + c

At t=0, v=v0, then c=v0

ds/dt=(F/m)t + v0

s=0.5(F/m)t2 + v0t + c

Taking at t=0, s=0 then c=0

s=0.5(F/m)t2 + v0t

For download motion, there is gravitational force.
For forward motion, there is no forces acting on it.

So the motions are with directions and magnitude thus they are vectors.
Calculate accordingly with vectors operations.

Last edited:

1. How does Newton's Second Law apply to dropping a bundle from a plane?

Newton's Second Law states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of dropping a bundle from a plane, the force of gravity is acting on the bundle, causing it to accelerate towards the ground.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of the bundle?

The acceleration of the bundle will be affected by the mass of the bundle and the force of gravity acting on it. The air resistance or drag force may also affect the acceleration, depending on the shape and size of the bundle.

3. How can we calculate the acceleration of the bundle?

The acceleration of the bundle can be calculated by dividing the force of gravity by the mass of the bundle. This can be represented by the equation a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force of gravity, and m is the mass of the bundle.

4. How does air resistance affect the drop of the bundle?

Air resistance, also known as drag force, can slow down the acceleration of the bundle as it falls. This force is dependent on the size, shape, and velocity of the bundle. As the bundle falls, the air resistance will increase, eventually reaching a point where it is equal to the force of gravity and the bundle will reach a maximum velocity known as terminal velocity.

5. Can Newton's Second Law be applied to other objects being dropped from a plane?

Yes, Newton's Second Law can be applied to any object being dropped from a plane. The force of gravity will act on the object, causing it to accelerate towards the ground. The specific acceleration will depend on the mass and air resistance of the object.