Calculating Velocity of a Falling Water Drop Using Newton's Second Law

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a falling drop of water with increasing mass due to moisture. The equation of motion is given and the task is to find the velocity after 1 second. The student rearranges the equation and substitutes the given values, resulting in a perfect integral of the form dU-dt = 0. After integrating and solving for the constant, the student arrives at the solution v = gt/3. However, the answer choices provided do not match this solution, indicating that the student may have made a mistake in their calculations.
Idoubt

Homework Statement

A drop of water of mass m is falling vertically towards the ground. Due to moisture, the mass of the drop is increasing as given by m=kt2. The equation of motion is

mdv/dt + vdm/dt = mg

find v after 1 second.

Homework Equations

The integrating factor of an imperfect integral

Adx + Bdy = 0

is given by Q = eintegral fydy

where fy = 1/A[ dB/dx - dA/dy]

The Attempt at a Solution

rearranging the equation of motion

dv/dt + (v/m)dm/dt -g = 0

substituting m = kt2 and dm/dt = 2kt

dv/dt + 2v/t - g =0

i.e dv + (2v/t -g )dt = 0 , now it is the form Adv + Bdt, where A=1, B=(2v/t-g)here ft= 1/1[ 2/t-0] = 2/t, integral ftdt = 2lnt = ln t2

integrating factor Q = eintegral ftdt = elnt2 = t2multplying the DE by the int factor

t2dv + 2vtdt - gt2dt = 0

the first two terms combine to form a perfect integral

dU where U = vt2

so dU - gt2 = 0

integrating

U - gt3/3 = C , where C is a constant

ie vt2 - gt3/3 = C

when t=0, C=0 so

v = gt/3

I can't find anything wrong with my work, but the answer choices to the question are

1, 0.25 g
2, 0.5 g
3, 0.75 g
4, g

Can some1 tell me where I messed up? thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
:frown:

Related to Calculating Velocity of a Falling Water Drop Using Newton's Second Law

1. What is Newton's second law problem?

Newton's second law problem is a physics problem that involves using Newton's second law of motion to analyze the movement of objects. This law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How do you solve a Newton's second law problem?

To solve a Newton's second law problem, you need to identify the forces acting on the object, determine the net force, and then use the equation F=ma to calculate the acceleration of the object. You can then use this acceleration to calculate other quantities, such as velocity and displacement.

3. What are the units for Newton's second law?

The units for Newton's second law are Newtons (N) for force, kilograms (kg) for mass, and meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration. These units can also be written as kg*m/s^2.

4. Can Newton's second law be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's second law can be applied to all types of motion, whether it is linear, circular, or rotational. As long as there is a net force acting on the object, the law can be used to analyze its motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of Newton's second law problem?

A few real-life examples of Newton's second law problem include a car accelerating on a highway, a ball being thrown into the air, and a rocket launching into space. In each of these scenarios, the law can be used to calculate the acceleration of the object and other related quantities.