Dual Faraday Tensor - Levi Civita Problem

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the Dual Faraday Tensor using the levi-civita symbol and the Faraday tensor. The participants discuss the correct notation and sign for the permutations of the levi-civita symbol, with the conclusion that 1324 and 3214 are both odd.
MidnightR
Ok I'm trying to calculate the Dual Faraday Tensor, but I'm having trouble with the notation I think...

[itex]*F^{ab} = \frac{1}{2}E^{abcd}F_{cd}[/itex] where E is the levi-civita symbol.

I'm correct in that

E^(1234) =

1 for (1234,3412,2341,4123)
-1 for (4321,3214,2143,1432)
0 otherwise

But this only gives me 8 terms in my 4x4 matrix? Which is incorrect?

F_cd is the Faraday tensor, which is also a 4x4 matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
MidnightR said:
I'm correct in that

E^(1234) =

1 for (1234,3412,2341,4123)
-1 for (4321,3214,2143,1432)
0 otherwise

But this only gives me 8 terms in my 4x4 matrix? Which is incorrect?

You are both missing permutations like 1324 and you have the wrong sign on others. For example, 2341 and 4123 are both odd, while 2143 and 4321 are even.

You're right, thanks. It works now.

So 1324 is odd and 3214 is even. Correct?

No, because [itex] \epsilon^{1324} = - \epsilon^{3124} = - \left( - \epsilon^{3214}\right) [/itex], so that when the first is odd (and it is), the last is odd as well.

Thank's.

1. What is the Dual Faraday Tensor?

The Dual Faraday Tensor is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. It is a 4x4 matrix that contains information about the strength and direction of both fields at a given point in space.

2. What is the Levi Civita Symbol?

The Levi Civita Symbol is a mathematical symbol used in tensor calculus to represent the permutation of three indices. It is often used in the calculation of the Dual Faraday Tensor in electromagnetism.

3. What is the Dual Faraday Tensor - Levi Civita Problem?

The Dual Faraday Tensor - Levi Civita Problem is a theoretical problem in electromagnetism that involves finding the dual tensor using the Levi Civita Symbol. It is a common problem in advanced electromagnetism courses and is used to test understanding of tensor calculus and its applications.

4. Why is the Dual Faraday Tensor important?

The Dual Faraday Tensor is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in the presence of each other. It is also used in the equations of electrodynamics, which are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

5. How is the Dual Faraday Tensor - Levi Civita Problem solved?

The problem is solved by using tensor calculus and the Levi Civita Symbol to manipulate the components of the Dual Faraday Tensor. This involves taking cross products and calculating determinants to find the final solution. It is a complex problem that requires a strong understanding of tensor calculus and electromagnetism principles.