1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Duke Medical Physics Program -- how was your experience?

1. Mar 13, 2017 #1
    I would like to know more about Duke's Master of Medical Physics program. Do any of you know about the clinical experience you can receive while attending? Also I am curious about the student to student experience that is most common during the program. To clarify, are students typically competitive towards one another or are they friendly and willing to help and support one another?
    It is easy to lean general information about grad programs but details like this are hard to track down. I would really appreciate hearing about any experiences you have had with Duke. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2017 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure if this will help - I don't have any experience with Duke itself - but the particular students are going to vary from year to year, so student personalities are difficult to predict. A program with students that keep to themselves one year could have a really friendly and outgoing group the next year.

I did read something on the webpage about an "optional summer clinical internship" which is probably what you're asking about. Not being familiar with the program, I would recommend contacting the department to find out more details on this - what specific work you would be doing, what clinical skills you can expect to develop through the program itself (i.e. labs) vs. what's left to the optional internship, are all students guaranteed an internship if they want one, and if you're doing work, are you reimbursed for it (other programs will pay students very well for QA work)?

4. Mar 15, 2017 #3
    Thanks for your input. You have a very good point about different years having varying personalities. I was just curious because I meet someone who transferred out of Duke due, in part, to the other students and her negative experiences with them.
    I'll be sure to ask the department about clinical opportunities.
    Thanks again for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted