Find A and B: Solving a Tricky Partial Fractions Question

In summary, to find the values of A and B in the equation x+1=A(x-2)+B(x-2), one can choose specific values of x that will simplify the equation to leave only one unknown. This can be accomplished by using linearly independent functions and creating two equations for the two unknowns. In the specified problem, the inverse laplace transform of s+1/(s^2 - 4s + 4) is being found using partial fractions. To solve for A and B, the form (s + 1)/(s - 2)^2 is used and the equations A = 1 and B = 3 are obtained.
cabellos
dumb partial fractions question...

suppose i get x+1=A(x-2)+B(x-2)

how do you then find A and B?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which values of x could you chose so that the equation simplified to leave you with a single unknown?

By demanding you've got an IDENTITY there, and remembering that the functions f(x)=1 and g(x)=x are linearly INDEPENDENT functions.
This will give you two equations for your two unknows A and B.

But say I use 2 as my x value, it removes both A and B in this equation...

Oops, I didn't see that closely!
You've made a mistake somewhere.

i haven't made a mistake i have to find the inverse laplace transform of s+1/(s^2 - 4s + 4) and I am using partial fractions to do this...but I am stuck now...:cry:

cabellos said:
i haven't made a mistake i have to find the inverse laplace transform of s+1/(s^2 - 4s + 4) and I am using partial fractions to do this...but I am stuck now...:cry:
The denominator is a perfect square. You need to use a different form for the sum of fractions. Have you seen this before?

Is that s+1/(s^2 - 4s + 4) or (s+1)/(s^2 - 4s + 4)??

I assume the second based on your original equation.

Last edited:
ok thanks - does this mean i find the inverse laplace transform of 1/(s-2)^2 and add this to the inverse LT of s/(s-2)^2 ?

I can do the first that would be te^2t wouldn't it?

Not sure about the second part? :cry:

cabellos said:
ok thanks - does this mean i find the inverse laplace transform of 1/(s-2)^2 and add this to the inverse LT of s/(s-2)^2 ?

I can do the first that would be te^2t wouldn't it?

Not sure about the second part? :cry:
If you can use tables, go here

http://www.vibrationdata.com/Laplace.htm

2.10 confirms your first term, and 2.15 cannot be used for a perfect square denominator. Partial fractions will get rid of the s in the numerator for you, and you will get a 2.9 form and a 2.10 form. Yes??

i can see the first relationship with 2.10 but what do i need to do to s/(s-2)^2 ? use partial fractions? Thats what i tried at the start but how do i find A and B if s = A(s-2) + B(s-2) ?

cabellos said:
i can see the first relationship with 2.10 but what do i need to do to s/(s-2)^2 ? use partial fractions? Thats what i tried at the start but how do i find A and B if s = A(s-2) + B(s-2) ?
You cannot use that form when the denominator is a perfect square. Use
(s + 1)/(s - 2)² = A/(s - 2) + B/(s - 2)²

how does that change anything...still can't solve A and B??

cabellos said:
how does that change anything...still can't solve A and B??
Sure you can.

(s + 1)/(s - 2)² = A/(s - 2) + B/(s - 2)²

s + 1 = A*(s - 2) + B

s + 1 = As - 2A + B
arildno said:
By demanding you've got an IDENTITY there, and remembering that the functions f(x)=1 and g(x)=x are linearly INDEPENDENT functions.
This will give you two equations for your two unknows A and B.
A = 1

1 = -2A + B

B = 1 + 2A = 3

1. How do you approach solving a tricky partial fractions question?

When solving a tricky partial fractions question, it is important to first identify the given equation and its variables. Then, you can use the method of partial fractions to break down the equation into simpler fractions. This involves factoring the denominator and setting up a system of equations to solve for the unknown constants. Finally, you can substitute the values of the constants back into the original equation to find the solution.

2. Can you provide an example of a tricky partial fractions question?

One example of a tricky partial fractions question might be: Find A and B in the equation 3x/(x^2 + x) = A/(x+1) + B/x. To solve this, you would first factor the denominator to get x(x+1). Then, you would set up the equation 3x = A(x+1) + Bx and solve for A and B by substituting in different values for x. Once you have found the values of A and B, you can plug them back into the original equation to find the solution.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving tricky partial fractions?

One common mistake when solving tricky partial fractions is not properly factoring the denominator. It is important to use methods such as grouping or the quadratic formula to ensure that the denominator is fully factored. Another mistake is not setting up the correct system of equations to solve for the unknown constants. It is important to carefully write out the equations and make sure they are balanced before solving.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for solving tricky partial fractions?

One useful tip for solving tricky partial fractions is to start by simplifying the equation as much as possible. This can involve canceling out common factors or rewriting the equation in a different form. Another helpful tip is to practice factoring and solving systems of equations, as these are key skills needed to solve partial fractions problems.

5. How can solving tricky partial fractions be applied in real-life situations?

Solving tricky partial fractions can be useful in various fields of science, such as engineering and physics. It can be used to solve differential equations and model real-world situations, such as fluid flow or electrical circuits. In chemistry, it can be used to determine reaction rates and concentrations. Overall, the ability to solve tricky partial fractions allows for a deeper understanding and application of mathematical concepts in real-life scenarios.