Dummit and Foote vs Lang: Choosing the Best Abstract Algebra Book

  • Topic: Algebra 
  • Thread starter Thread starter SrVishi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    algebra lang
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
SrVishi
Messages
75
Reaction score
15
Hi, I'm going to start learning Abstract Algebra, and I was wondering which book, either Lang (his graduate version) or Dummit and Foote, is better. I'm totally okay with terseness to any degree so that isn't an issue for me. Now, I know that Lang is a hardcore graduate book (at least according to what I heard), but I can take my time with it and probably look up whatever I don't understand online. So, which of the two would be "better?" Which covers more material? Are there any books that you feel are better or covers more material then these two? Thanks in advance for any response.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at this thread, Mathwonk has given a very similar looking answer.

mathwonk said:
...
So Hungerford is more of a textbook for basic stuff and Lang more of a baby research reference. One tries to address the beginning grad student on his level, and the other tries to raise that level to nearer what it needs to be.
...
Trying to give the proofs of any theorem without reading the proof first, is a habit every student should acquire, in every book, and even every paper. That's how you learn to be a mathematician as opposed to remaining a student. So Lang is teaching you as if you want to become a mathematician, and Hungerford is teaching you as if you are a beginning student.
...
I would put DF noticeably below Hungerford in sophistication and depth. I.e. what used to be considered a basic book for average grad students, namely Hungerford, has now become considered a more difficult book, replaced for average students by DF. Lang on the other hand is almost never considered as a text anymore, as if it were some otherworldly and unrealistic book. I think, recalling using them both now, that one needs both Lang and Hungerford. Lang has the right point of view, and the right topics, and Hungerford has the examples that flesh out the basic topics. I thought DF looked appealing at first review, but now actually using it, I find it so verbose as to obscure the topics rather than illuminate them.
 
Thanks for the reply. I already try to solve every theorem in a book before checking with the proof (well, to the best of my ability at least), it just makes the reading a lot more fun! I guess I'll go with Lang then, perhaps with Bergman's companion to Lang notes online.