Dynamics: Tangential and Normal Coordinates

In summary, a motorist starts from rest at point A and enters the highway at point B with a speed of 95.333 ft/s. The total distance traveled is 1006.8583 ft and the total time is 21.12 seconds. The magnitude of the total acceleration when t=15s is equal to the translational acceleration, which remains constant.
fabri010

Homework Statement

A motorist starts from rest at point A on a circular entrance ramp when t=0, increases the speed of her automobile at a constant rate and enters the highway at point B. Knowing that her speed continues to increase at the same rate until it reaches 65 mi/h at point C, determine (a) the speed at point B, (b) the magnitude of the total acceleration when t=15s.
The entrance ramp is a quarter circle with radius 450 ft. Point B is at the point where the car stops moving in a circular path and begins to travel straight down the highway for 300 ft. when it reaches point C.

Homework Equations

s=s.+v.t+.5at^2

at=dv/dt et
an=((v^2)*t)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

vc=95.333 ft/s
s=225pi
stot=1006.8583
I have no idea how to complete this problem. If there was a time given to us I could figure out the at, and then use that to find the v and an. I feel like I'm not given enough information but I know that's wrong. If anyone could just put me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the distance (or should be able to figure it out). Using the average speed (which you should know), you can figure out the time.

Or you can look for another kinematic formula relating acceleration, speed, and distance.

Yes I have that total time=21.12s, I calculated that. But I don't know how to find the time at B, when the car stops moving in a circular motion and begins to move linearly.

The translational acceleration doesn't change. Figure that out first.

Thanks. I think I have it now.

1. What is the difference between tangential and normal coordinates in dynamics?

Tangential coordinates are used to describe motion along a curved path, while normal coordinates are used to describe motion perpendicular to the curved path. Tangential coordinates are typically represented by the tangent and normal vectors to the path, while normal coordinates are represented by the radius of curvature and the angle between the path and the normal vector.

2. How are tangential and normal coordinates used in physics?

In physics, tangential and normal coordinates are used to describe the motion of objects in rotational or circular motion. They are particularly useful in dynamics when dealing with centripetal and centrifugal forces. Tangential and normal coordinates are also used in the study of orbital mechanics and celestial mechanics.

3. Can tangential and normal coordinates be used in non-uniform motion?

Yes, tangential and normal coordinates can be used in both uniform and non-uniform motion. In uniform motion, the tangential and normal components remain constant, while in non-uniform motion, they vary as the object moves along the curved path.

4. What is the significance of using tangential and normal coordinates in dynamics?

Using tangential and normal coordinates in dynamics allows for a more simplified and efficient analysis of curved motion. By breaking down the motion into its tangential and normal components, complex problems can be simplified and solved using basic principles of kinematics and dynamics.

5. How are tangential and normal coordinates related to polar coordinates?

Tangential and normal coordinates are closely related to polar coordinates, as both are used to describe motion along a curved path. The radial component in polar coordinates is equivalent to the normal component in tangential coordinates, while the tangential component in polar coordinates is equivalent to the tangential component in normal coordinates.