1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal and Tangential Acceleration

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A motorcyclist travels around a curved path that has a radius of 450 ft. While traveling around the curved path, the motorcyclist increases speed by 1.10[itex]\frac{ft}{s}[/itex]. Determine the maximum constant speed of the motorcyclist when the maximum acceleration is 7.00 [itex]\frac{ft}{s^2}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

a = √(at)2+(an)2

at=[itex]\dot{v}[/itex]
    an = [itex]\frac{v^2}{ρ}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've already solved for the speed at a given acceleration, and the magnitude of the acceleration at a given speed.

But this part is a little confusing for me. I am thinking that I have to use the equation a = √(at)2+(an)2 and set a = 7.00 [itex]\frac{ft}{s^2}[/itex] and then I can solve for an.....then solve for v in the equation an = [itex]\frac{v^2}{ρ}[/itex], where ρ = 450 ft? But I'm not sure. I will give it a try, though.

If anyone can weigh in on my approach, I would greatly appreciate it as always!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's how I'd interpret the problem - the total acceleration would be the vector sum of the tangential and centripetal accelerations.

4. Jan 30, 2013 #3
    Thanks. Worked out fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook