1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics - Very simple Q; Just need clarification

1. Apr 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    BKAZtM8.png

2. Relevant equations
    Skipping this, as I just have a simple question

3. The attempt at a solution
    clvELi7.png

Here is the full solution, but I just have one simple question about a simple step. On the part for disk B, they establish the equation vD = vB - vD/B. In the proceeding step, they set vD = 0. I have checked out a few other solutions online and they ALL do this, but none explain. I'm curious as to why this happens. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

D is the point of contact between the large disc and the outside surface. It is specified to be stationary ('without slipping'), so its velocity vD is zero. That velocity is also equal to vB-vD/B, as the first term is the linear velocity of B, the centre of the big disc, and the second term is the linear velocity of D relative to B.

Putting those two facts together gives an equation 0 = vB - vD/B, which can then be used to work out the rest.

4. Apr 9, 2016 #3
    Thank you andrewkirk, that makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted