What are the Benefits of Using Modal Coordinates in Structural Dynamics?

• Thread starter CivilSigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinates
In summary, in structural dynamics of multiple degrees of freedom structures, the solution to the PDE for the applied load is a combination of modal coordinates and modal shapes. The modal coordinate represents the amplitude of the modal shape, which is the displacement function of unit displacement. The benefit of using modal coordinates is that it decouples the PDE and allows for solving separate linearly independent equations of motion. If one chooses not to use modal coordinates, the solution process may become more complicated and confusing.
CivilSigma

Homework Statement

In structural dynamics of multiple degrees of freedom structures, the solution of the following PDE varies with the respect of the applied load, however in numerous literature I have read, the solution is a combination of modal coordinates and modal shapes:

$$m \ddot v + c \dot v +kv = P(t)$$

The solution to this PDE is:

$$v(t)= \sum_i^\infty \phi_i(t) \cdot \psi_i(t)$$

where phi is the modal coordinate and psi is the modal shape and are obtained from solving the eigenvalue problem of the equation above.

To my understanding a modal coordinate represents an amplitude of the modal shape and the modal shape is the displacement function of unit displacement. Is this correct?

Moreover, I am not clear regarding the following:

1. What is meant by "Modal Coordinate" are we still in the x-y plane or did we leave to another plane?
2. The benefit of introducing "Modal Coordinates" is that we decouple the PDE which allows us to solve 'N' linearly independent equation of motion, and their sum is the true solution. Out of curiosity, what if I did not want to do this, how would I proceed to solve the MDOF equation of motion?

Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
The modal coordinate is the coefficient for each mode shape in the summation that is the final solution. Your original problem was in the v-t plane, but the modal transformation took you into a different space. Don't spend too much time trying to attach a geometric interpretation to this. Just understand that it works, and it makes life a lot, lot easier.

Regarding the second question, if you don't want to do this, be prepared to spend a lot of time and confusion with a "straight forward" solution.

Likes CivilSigma

1. What are modal coordinates?

Modal coordinates are a set of mathematical variables that are used to describe the motion of a vibrating system. They represent the displacement and velocity of each mode (or normal vibration) of the system.

2. How are modal coordinates different from other coordinate systems?

Modal coordinates are unique to the specific system being studied and are derived from the natural frequencies and mode shapes of the system. They are often used in structural dynamics and vibration analysis, whereas other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian or polar coordinates, are more commonly used in general physics and mathematics.

3. What is the purpose of using modal coordinates?

The use of modal coordinates allows for a simplified and more efficient analysis of a vibrating system. By reducing the number of variables needed to describe the motion of the system, modal coordinates make it easier to identify and understand the behavior of the system's modes of vibration.

4. How are modal coordinates calculated?

Modal coordinates are typically calculated using mathematical methods such as the finite element method or the modal analysis technique. These methods involve solving a set of equations based on the system's characteristics, such as its mass, stiffness, and damping properties.

5. Can modal coordinates be used for any type of system?

Modal coordinates are most commonly used for linear, time-invariant systems, but they can also be applied to nonlinear and time-varying systems with some modifications. However, the accuracy and usefulness of modal coordinates may vary depending on the complexity and behavior of the system being studied.