1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: E-field at various points from two large sheets

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    E-field at various points from two "large" sheets

1.You've hung two very large sheets of plastic facing each other with distance d between them, as shown in the figure . By rubbing them with wool and silk, you've managed to give one sheet a uniform surface charge density n1 = -n_o and the other a uniform surface charge density n2 = 3n_o .

2. electric field equations

3. Ok, I know that since both sheets are "large" that their field strength is uniform and independent of distance. Thus, point 1, for example, I would just add the -n_0 and 3n_o since the field vectors for the left plate point to the right for point one and the vectors from the far plate point left... but how do I do this in terms of n_o / epsilon_o? I tried entering a numerical value based on the simple addition I described but its wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Re: E-field at various points from two "large" sheets

I've no idea what "point one" is, nor which plate is on the left and which is on the right. I think you're on the right track, however. Find the electric field produced by each plate and add them vectorially.

4. Feb 26, 2010 #3

Sorry. Point 1 is the left of the left (-n_o) sheet, point to is in between the two sheets, and point 3 is to the right of the right sheet (3n_o).

5. Feb 26, 2010 #4

27.P48.jpg

6. Feb 26, 2010 #5

Nevermind, I got it. The readings this week were typed up wrong so I hadn't read the right sections. It was simple once I had the equation E_plane = n/2ep_o

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook