E-field at various points from two large sheets

In summary, two large sheets of plastic with a distance d between them have been charged with a uniform surface charge density of -n_o and 3n_o, respectively. The electric field strength at various points can be found by adding the individual electric fields produced by each sheet. The equation for the electric field produced by a plane is E_plane = n/2ep_o, where n is the surface charge density and e is the permittivity of free space.
Linus Pauling
E-field at various points from two "large" sheets

1.You've hung two very large sheets of plastic facing each other with distance d between them, as shown in the figure . By rubbing them with wool and silk, you've managed to give one sheet a uniform surface charge density n1 = -n_o and the other a uniform surface charge density n2 = 3n_o .

2. electric field equations

3. Ok, I know that since both sheets are "large" that their field strength is uniform and independent of distance. Thus, point 1, for example, I would just add the -n_0 and 3n_o since the field vectors for the left plate point to the right for point one and the vectors from the far plate point left... but how do I do this in terms of n_o / epsilon_o? I tried entering a numerical value based on the simple addition I described but its wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org

I've no idea what "point one" is, nor which plate is on the left and which is on the right. I think you're on the right track, however. Find the electric field produced by each plate and add them vectorially.

Sorry. Point 1 is the left of the left (-n_o) sheet, point to is in between the two sheets, and point 3 is to the right of the right sheet (3n_o).

27.P48.jpg

Nevermind, I got it. The readings this week were typed up wrong so I hadn't read the right sections. It was simple once I had the equation E_plane = n/2ep_o

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle at any given point in space. It is represented by a vector that points in the direction of the force on a positive charge and has a magnitude determined by the strength of the charge.

2. How does the electric field vary at different points from two large sheets?

The electric field at a point between two large, parallel sheets is constant and does not vary with distance from the sheets. However, the electric field between two charged sheets will be significantly different from the electric field outside of the sheets due to the presence of the charges on the sheets.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field between two large sheets?

The strength of the electric field between two large sheets is affected by the distance between the sheets, the magnitude of the charges on the sheets, and the relative orientation of the sheets. The closer the sheets are, the stronger the electric field will be. Additionally, the greater the magnitude of the charges on the sheets, the stronger the electric field will be. Lastly, the orientation of the sheets, whether they are parallel or perpendicular, also affects the strength of the electric field.

4. How is the electric field calculated at a point between two large sheets?

The electric field at a point between two large sheets can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric field is equal to the product of the magnitude of the charges on the sheets divided by the square of the distance between the sheets.

5. Why is it important to understand the electric field at various points from two large sheets?

Understanding the electric field at various points from two large sheets is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and electronics. It allows us to predict the behavior of charged particles in the presence of these sheets and to design and optimize systems that utilize electric fields, such as capacitors and particle accelerators.