Electric field of a positive plate

In summary, the electric field at a point P is given by: $$\vec E = \frac{\sigma}{\varepsilon_0}\hat r$$
doggydan42

Homework Statement

There is a large positively charged plate whose charge density is ##\sigma = 2.0 × 10^{-5}\frac{C}{m^2}##. What is the electric field at a point P, that is not enclosed between the plates.

Homework Equations

For an infinite sheet:
$$\vec E = \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0}\hat r$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought to find the field of the plate by adding, but that would be the field between two infinite planes, one with negative charge and one with a positive charge. Would that still form the electric field of a positively charged plate? So,
$$\vec E = \frac{\sigma}{\varepsilon_0}\hat r$$

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Can you clarify the problem statement? The first sentence seems to imply that there is only one plate. The second sentence implies more than one plate.

There is one plate. The plate has three dimensions, while the sheet only has two. So there is a thickness to the plate that the sheet does not have.

TSny said:
Hello. Can you clarify the problem statement? The first sentence seems to imply that there is only one plate. The second sentence implies more than one plate.

The plate has a thickness, so it is in three dimensions. The sheet is only two dimensional, so it would be a plane in a 3D space.

doggydan42 said:
There is one plate. The plate has three dimensions, while the sheet only has two. So there is a thickness to the plate that the sheet does not have.
So you have a single plate that has some thickness to it? What does it mean when the problem statement says that point P is not between the plates?

Last edited:
Well I did not state the full problem, but if it helps here's an image. Part of the problem was finding the electric field to find the force, and once I find that I know how to continue. So the proton is not between the two sheets which form the plates.

Attachments

• CNX_UPhysics_22_05_Prob19_img.jpg
    CNX_UPhysics_22_05_Prob19_img.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 430
OK, that helps. Point P is not between the faces of the plate. In the problem statement, you say that ##\sigma## is the charge density of the plate. Does that mean that each face of the plate has the surface charge ##\sigma##?

I think it would be helpful to state the relevant part of the problem word for word.
See the paragraph for item 3 here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

The whole problem is:
From a distance of 10 cm, a proton is projected with a speed of v = 4.0 × 106 m/s directly at a large, positively charged plate whose charge density is ##\sigma = 2.0 × 10^{−5}C/m^22##. (See below.) (a) Does the proton reach the plate? (b) If not, how far from the plate does it turn around?

So from my understanding, ##\sigma## would be the surface charge of each plate.

Thank you. You have the right idea that you sum the contributions from each surface (sheet of charge). Your expression for E in the "attempt at a solution" is correct, although I'm not sure what the unit vector ##\hat r## denotes?

##\hat r## would be the direction of the field.

Thank you.

doggydan42 said:
##\hat r## would be the direction of the field.
And what direction would that be?

In this case it would be in the ##-\hat i## direction acting on the proton.

doggydan42 said:
In this case it would be in the ##-\hat i## direction acting on the proton.
OK. Good. I think you have it.

1. What is the electric field of a positive plate?

The electric field of a positive plate is a measure of the force exerted on a positive charge placed near the plate. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is the electric field of a positive plate calculated?

The electric field of a positive plate can be calculated by dividing the charge on the plate by the area of the plate. This gives the electric field strength at any point near the plate.

3. How does the electric field of a positive plate affect charged particles?

The electric field of a positive plate will cause positively charged particles to experience a force in the direction of the field. This force can either attract or repel the charged particles, depending on their charge.

4. Is the electric field of a positive plate the same everywhere?

No, the electric field of a positive plate can vary in strength and direction at different points near the plate. It is strongest near the edges of the plate and weakest in the center.

5. How does the electric field of a positive plate differ from that of a negative plate?

The electric field of a positive plate is directed away from the plate, while the electric field of a negative plate is directed towards the plate. This is because positive and negative charges have opposite effects on electric fields.