1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E-field of cylindrical conductor above infinite ground plane

1. Mar 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the electric field between the conductor and ground. The conductor is at:
    • Potential = +V0,
    • radius a
    • distance d from the ground plane.
    2. Relevant equations
    I used image theory to create a conductor at -V0 at distance -d from the ground plane.

Laplace's equation: ∇2V = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    My main road block on this problem is that the cylindrical conductor is NOT at the origin. This means the symmetry in φ and z do not apply, and I cannot easily solve Laplace's equation since V = V(r,φ,z) instead of V = V(r) for a cylinder at the origin. Note that I am in second year electrical engineering, so I don't think we are supposed to solve PDEs... Also, if I set my positive charged conductor at the origin, then my image conductor is still not symmetric with respect to φ and z, and I face the same concern.

Can someone give me a hint on what to do when the conductor is not centered at the origin? Right now, I have the ground plane set as the y = 0 plane and the conductor lying on x = 0.

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi bleach, a belated welcome to PF :smile: !

I'm having trouble to imagine the situation; the problem statement seems incomplete to me :confused:.
    From your attempt at solution I gather the ground plane is conducting and at zero potential (perhaps a standard convention in EE - but you're posting in a forum where physicists roam free...).

But I can't make out why the cylinder can't be at the origin of the coordinate system, because you don't say much about that system.
    (This is not to say that a coordinate system with the cylinder at the origin would be a smart choice, for sure !)

So if you tell me the cylinder is with its center of mass at (0,0,d) and is oriented either along the z axis, or parallel to the x-axis, then at least I know what problem you are facing.

And either way, I do think your mirror charge approach is the way to go.

For a complete expression of ##\vec E## all over the place you will also need the length of the cylinder. But it could well be that in EE jargon, "between the conductor and ground" means " means "in some specific area or on some specific line"...:wink:

4. Mar 22, 2015 #3
    Hi BvU, thanks for the reply!

You're correct about the ground plane being a conductor at zero potential. The problem setup is shown in the picture below:

upload_2015-3-22_10-8-51.png

The cylinder and ground can both be considered to be infinitely long.

I just need the Electric field on the y axis between the cylinder and ground. Can that simplify my calculations somewhere?

5. Mar 22, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Aha! so I can use the pile of scratch paper I reserved for the whole exercise for something else ! Good for me and for the environment :wink: !

Infinitely long means the end effects aren't there and this is a 2d problem (from mirror symmetry wrt the xy plane there's no z component). Phew !

And you only need the field on the y-axis. Piece of cake.

The whole mirror charge thingy is based on the uniqueness of solutions to the Laplace equation. Find one, then that's it!

Mirror disk with charge -q at -d is good.

The problem statement still is incomplete to me :confused: : we don't have something for the radius or the diameter, and somehow I don't think I can hope that it's zero :frown: .
    But if it is, we're done.

If it isn't zero, then we can still have the bright idea that for small r/d a (2d) dipole field is a good step towards the solution. Turns out to be the way to go.
    Check out the shape of the equipotential planes for two parallel line charges !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted