E-field of cylindrical conductor above infinite ground plane

In summary, the electric field between the conductor and ground can be found by solving Laplace's equation. The attempt at a solution involved creating a conductor at -V0 at a distance -d from the ground plane. If the cylinder is at the origin of the coordinate system, then the electric field cannot be calculated. The solution involves using equipotential planes to find the electric field.
bleach2015

Homework Statement

Find the electric field between the conductor and ground. The conductor is at:
  • Potential = +V0,
  • radius a
  • distance d from the ground plane.

Homework Equations

I used image theory to create a conductor at -V0 at distance -d from the ground plane.

Laplace's equation: ∇2V = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

My main road block on this problem is that the cylindrical conductor is NOT at the origin. This means the symmetry in φ and z do not apply, and I cannot easily solve Laplace's equation since V = V(r,φ,z) instead of V = V(r) for a cylinder at the origin. Note that I am in second year electrical engineering, so I don't think we are supposed to solve PDEs... Also, if I set my positive charged conductor at the origin, then my image conductor is still not symmetric with respect to φ and z, and I face the same concern.

Can someone give me a hint on what to do when the conductor is not centered at the origin? Right now, I have the ground plane set as the y = 0 plane and the conductor lying on x = 0.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bleach, a belated welcome to PF :smile: !

I'm having trouble to imagine the situation; the problem statement seems incomplete to me :confused:.
From your attempt at solution I gather the ground plane is conducting and at zero potential (perhaps a standard convention in EE - but you're posting in a forum where physicists roam free...).

But I can't make out why the cylinder can't be at the origin of the coordinate system, because you don't say much about that system.
(This is not to say that a coordinate system with the cylinder at the origin would be a smart choice, for sure !)

So if you tell me the cylinder is with its center of mass at (0,0,d) and is oriented either along the z axis, or parallel to the x-axis, then at least I know what problem you are facing.

And either way, I do think your mirror charge approach is the way to go.

For a complete expression of ##\vec E## all over the place you will also need the length of the cylinder. But it could well be that in EE jargon, "between the conductor and ground" means " means "in some specific area or on some specific line"...:wink:

Hi BvU, thanks for the reply!

You're correct about the ground plane being a conductor at zero potential. The problem setup is shown in the picture below:

upload_2015-3-22_10-8-51.png

The cylinder and ground can both be considered to be infinitely long.

I just need the Electric field on the y-axis between the cylinder and ground. Can that simplify my calculations somewhere?

Aha! so I can use the pile of scratch paper I reserved for the whole exercise for something else ! Good for me and for the environment :wink: !

Infinitely long means the end effects aren't there and this is a 2d problem (from mirror symmetry wrt the xy plane there's no z component). Phew !

And you only need the field on the y-axis. Piece of cake.

The whole mirror charge thingy is based on the uniqueness of solutions to the Laplace equation. Find one, then that's it!

Mirror disk with charge -q at -d is good.

The problem statement still is incomplete to me :confused: : we don't have something for the radius or the diameter, and somehow I don't think I can hope that it's zero :frown: .
But if it is, we're done.

If it isn't zero, then we can still have the bright idea that for small r/d a (2d) dipole field is a good step towards the solution. Turns out to be the way to go.
Check out the shape of the equipotential planes for two parallel line charges !

What is the "E-field" of a cylindrical conductor above an infinite ground plane?

The "E-field" of a cylindrical conductor above an infinite ground plane refers to the strength and direction of the electric field created by the conductor in relation to the ground plane. This field is affected by the size, shape, and distance of the conductor from the ground plane, as well as the conductivity of the surrounding environment.

How is the "E-field" of a cylindrical conductor above an infinite ground plane calculated?

The "E-field" of a cylindrical conductor above an infinite ground plane can be calculated using the formula E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the potential difference between the conductor and the ground plane, and d is the distance between the conductor and the ground plane. This formula assumes a uniform electric field between the conductor and ground plane.

What factors affect the "E-field" of a cylindrical conductor above an infinite ground plane?

The "E-field" of a cylindrical conductor above an infinite ground plane can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the conductor, the distance between the conductor and the ground plane, the conductivity of the surrounding environment, and the presence of other conductors or objects that may alter the electric field.

How does the "E-field" change as the distance between the conductor and ground plane increases?

As the distance between the cylindrical conductor and the infinite ground plane increases, the strength of the "E-field" decreases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance between the conductor and the ground plane. In other words, as the distance increases, the electric field is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a weaker field.

What is the significance of the "E-field" of a cylindrical conductor above an infinite ground plane?

The "E-field" of a cylindrical conductor above an infinite ground plane is significant because it plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of electrical systems and devices. By understanding the strength and direction of the electric field, engineers and scientists can design and optimize systems for maximum efficiency and safety.