E&M Electric Fields (Harmonic Motion?)

In summary, the third particle moves along a simple harmonic path along the perpendicular bisector of the charges, with a period of 2d.
physicsnewblol
E&M Electric Fields (Harmonic Motion?)

This problem comes out of "Physics (for scientists and engineers w/ modern physics) Volume 2 7th Edition" by Serway/Jewett

Review Problem Two identical particles, each having charge +q, are fixed in space and separated by a distance d. A third particle with charge -Q is free to move and lies initially at rest on the perpendicular bisector of the two fixed charges a distance x from the midpoint between the two fixed charges.

A. Show that if x is small compared with d, the motion of -Q is simple harmonic along the perpendicular bisector. Determine the period of that motion.

Regarding harmonic motion, I don't even know where to begin. This problem most likely has something to do with Coulomb's law but I don't see how that helps.

Edit: I can find the net forces by adding each of the respective components together, but I have no clue what to do then.

Anyone have ideas?
-Physicsnewblol

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
physicsnewblol said:
Edit: I can find the net forces by adding each of the respective components together, but I have no clue what to do then.
This sounds like a good plan. I would write out the net force acting on the third particle as a function of position (x).

Alternatively, one could try to compute the electric potential energy of the system... as a function of position (x).

found a little blurb in my book: "If the equation of the force is in the form of the f = -kx (I forget the name, it has to do with springs) then the motion is simple harmonic"

physicsnewblol said:
found a little blurb in my book: "If the equation of the force is in the form of the f = -kx (I forget the name, it has to do with springs) then the motion is simple harmonic"

Yes, that hooks in directly with Hootenanny's hint.
If you know how to determine the period of a spring, then you could finish the problem... by analogy.
(By the way, my suggestion uses energy instead of force, which might be easier to work with. But, at this stage, it might be better to follow the suggestion in your blurb.)

robphy said:
Yes, that hooks in directly with Hootenanny's hint.
If you know how to determine the period of a spring, then you could finish the problem... by analogy.
(By the way, my suggestion uses energy instead of force, which might be easier to work with. But, at this stage, it might be better to follow the suggestion in your blurb.)
:rofl:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. It is created by electrically charged objects, and the strength and direction of the field depend on the magnitude and location of the charges.

2. How does harmonic motion apply to electric fields?

Harmonic motion refers to the repetitive back and forth motion of a system around an equilibrium position. In the case of electric fields, harmonic motion can occur when a charged particle is subject to a restoring force from the electric field, causing it to oscillate around its equilibrium position.

3. What is the relationship between electric fields and electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. The strength of the electric field is directly related to the electric potential, with stronger fields having higher potentials.

4. Can electric fields be shielded or cancelled out?

Yes, electric fields can be shielded or cancelled out by using conductive materials. Conductors can redistribute the charges in a way that creates an equal and opposite field, effectively cancelling out the original field.

5. What are some practical applications of electric fields in everyday life?

Electric fields have numerous practical applications in everyday life, such as in the functioning of electronic devices, power generation and transmission, and medical equipment such as MRI machines. They are also used in industrial processes such as electroplating and in household appliances like microwave ovens.