E on q independent of v - confusing?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jason12345
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Confusing Independent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jason12345
Messages
108
Reaction score
0
Many textbooks make the statement that it's found experimentally that the electric force by a stationary charge on on a moving charge is independent of its velocity.

Has this lead to any confusion for people here?

Embarrassingly, I was using this to mean that in the proper frame of the moving charge, it experiences the same force E independent of its velocity. :eek:

Now I realize it simply means that:

F = d/dt (gamma m v) = qE

Of all the concepts in basic relativity I've had problems with, force stands out for me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In the frame of the moving charge there will be a magnetic field, and that depends on the velocity. The lab frame makes calculations easier in this case.