1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E^z = -1 -i (find all z)

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    The problem statement
    find all complex numbers z, that satisfies the equation
    [itex]e^{z}\; =\; -1\; -i[/itex]

The attempt at a solution
    [itex]z=a+bi[/itex]

[itex]e^{\left( a+bi \right)}\; =\; e^{a}\cdot e^{bi}\; =\; e^{a}\left( \cos b\; +\; i\; \sin b \right)[/itex]

I seek
    [itex]\begin{cases}e^a cos(b)=-1 \\ e^a sin(b)=-1 \end{cases}[/itex]

So, what b satisfies sin(b) = cos(b) ?
    In the unit circle, I see: [itex]b=\frac{\pi }{4}+\pi n[/itex] as that angle for b. b is done.

[itex]e^{a}\cos \left( \frac{\pi }{4} \right)=-1[/itex]
    [itex]e^{a}=-\sqrt{2}[/itex]
    [itex]a=\ln \left( -\sqrt{2} \right)[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]z=\ln \left( -\sqrt{2} \right)+i\left( \frac{\pi }{4}+\pi n \right)[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But, look just above this.

ea > 0, for all a. So if [itex]e^a \cos(b)=-1 \text{ and }e^a \sin(b)=-1\,,[/itex] then both sin(b) and cos(b) are negative, so the angle, b, must be in the third quadrant.

Look at [itex]\displaystyle e^{a}\cos \left( \frac{5\pi }{4} \right)=-1\,.[/itex] Using the resulting value for a will fix your problem of having the logarithm of a negative number.

4. Oct 19, 2011 #3
    And b=5π/4 leads to e^a=-1
    this means a=ln(√2)

Thanks.

But, what about finding ALL z? I struggle with this: e^z has 2πi, whilst the normal is 2π. Does that get compensated by the "i" in the exponential of e? So that 2π is the right answer: b=5π/4 + 2π·n ?

5. Oct 19, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, b = 5π/4 leads to sin(b) = cos(b) = -1, so ea = 1

6. Oct 19, 2011 #5

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Careful; both sin and cos are positive in the first quadrant. Also, check the periodicity.

7. Oct 19, 2011 #6

Bacle2

Science Advisor

The exponential has an imaginary period of 2pi. e^z has no real period, period.

8. Oct 19, 2011 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, that's right. Once you have one solution, namely [itex]z_0=\ln\sqrt{2}+i\frac{5\pi}{4}[/itex], the rest have the form [itex]z_n = z_0 +2\pi n i[/itex] because [itex]e^{z_n} = e^{z_0}e^{2\pi n i}=e^{z_0}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook