Earning an Associate's While Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree with Minor

In summary, an Associate's degree with no extra classes is an intriguing option, but it is unclear if it would be beneficial for me to pursue this route. It is also unclear what other route I should pursue if I decide to go ahead with the associate's degree.
Cod
I received an email this afternoon from my advisor explaining I have the potential to earn an associate’s degree while pursuing my bachelor’s degree. Currently, I’m majoring in Computer Science with a minor in Mathematical Sciences; however, the possibility of earning an associate’s with no extra classes is intriguing. The overall concept of a minor versus an associate’s degree is a little confusing, so I wanted to get a consensus regarding the most valuable route to take.

Would it be beneficial for me to go ahead and earn the associate’s degree in mathematics and continue pursuing the mathematical sciences minor? Should I get my associate’s in mathematics and change my minor to another interest? Or should I forget the associate’s and focus solely on my B.S. and current minor?

Bottom line, I want to study subjects I enjoy while ensuring I am very marketable upon leaving the military (if I decide to part with it).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's pretty unusual for a four-year school to even grant Associate's degrees.

I don't think that an AA degree and a minor all very different. Moreover, I don't think they're seen as by employers as very different.

Except in one way, maybe: a student can only earn a minor if they also earn a Bachelor's. An Associates can be granted as a stand-alone degree.

Ditto what lisab said. When it comes to job hiring, usually all anybody cares about is 'highest degree earned'. The only benefit I can see is if you want to show that you have 'credentials' in another skill set. If it really is no extra work (nor extra cash), then I'd say just grab the thing. Later on, you can decide what to actually put on your résumé - either Associate's or minor.

1. Can I earn an associate's degree while pursuing a bachelor's degree with a minor?

Yes, it is possible to earn an associate's degree while pursuing a bachelor's degree with a minor. This is known as a "dual degree" or "dual enrollment" program, where students are able to complete two degrees simultaneously. It requires careful planning and coordination with your academic advisor to ensure that all requirements for both degrees are met.

2. How long does it take to earn an associate's degree while pursuing a bachelor's degree with a minor?

The amount of time it takes to earn an associate's degree while pursuing a bachelor's degree with a minor varies, depending on a number of factors such as the number of credits required for each degree, the number of courses taken per semester, and any potential overlapping course requirements. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to create a personalized plan and timeline for completing both degrees.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a dual degree program?

There are several benefits to pursuing a dual degree program. Firstly, it allows students to save time and money by completing two degrees at the same time. Secondly, it provides a more well-rounded education, as students are able to explore different subjects and gain a broader range of knowledge and skills. Additionally, having two degrees can make a student more competitive in the job market and open up more opportunities for career advancement.

4. Are there any drawbacks to pursuing a dual degree program?

While there are many benefits to pursuing a dual degree program, there can also be some drawbacks. It may require a heavier course load and more time and effort to complete both degrees, which can be challenging for some students. Additionally, there may be limited options for courses and scheduling conflicts between the two degrees. It is important to carefully consider these factors before deciding to pursue a dual degree program.

5. Can I transfer credits from my associate's degree to my bachelor's degree with a minor?

In most cases, yes, you can transfer credits from your associate's degree to your bachelor's degree with a minor. However, the amount of credits that can be transferred and the specific requirements for transfer may vary depending on the institution and the specific programs. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine the transfer policies and requirements for your particular situation.