Earth and Enviormental Studies Major

In summary: It's possible to have a Msc in the field of geophysics without a related working experience, but it'll be harder to find a job.
goodman324
I was just wondering peoples opinion on my career goals and see if anyone has any ideas.

I will be graduating next summer with a B.S. in Earth and Enviornmental Stuides with a concentration in Earth Science with a minor in Physical Science.

I'm going to go into teaching in a high need area that will pay for most of my masters in education.

I'm happy to work in high school or a middle school but would one day like to be a profeessor - adjunct or part time. Now do I absolutely need a Phd/Edd to teach at that level?

Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Matt Goodman

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any experience with Hydrology? I am considering a Masters program in it after a long hiatus from school. Seems like interesting work if you get in with the right firm. Job prospects? Challenging/Interesting? Long-Term Outlook?

A friend said to go for 2nd Bachelor's in CivEng while focusing on Hydrology. This adds 2 years to my plan (assuming I can get into the masters program now). Hydrology is quite a narrow field to focus on in comparison to CivEng, but I can see some advantages to that. I need goals and a job I like, I hope someone has some advice for me. Thanks.

Hello guys! :)

I am having problems with the course I am taking up for college. The college entrance exam results have been announced for the universities where I took the test (I tried 2 universities) and I am so glad that I passed both of them. (Chemical Engineering on the first university and Agricultural Chemistry on the second)

I am more interested in Chemical Engineering, and it is really what I wanted to pursue but we just don't have enough money to go into that college. :( On the other hand, I've been thinking about pursuing Agricultural Chemistry since that is the only college program I'd be able to run into. I don't want to shift courses because when I start something, I want to finish it. And besides, I won't just pick Agricultural Chemistry when I filled up the form for admission test if I hate it.

So, as I begin to embrace Agricultural Chemistry, I want to ask some guidance from you guys here. :)

What are the jobs waiting for me(of course salary ^_^), the classes (subjects like Chemistry, Calculus, etc.) and anything I need to know before I enter the world of Agricultural Chemistry?

I don't hate Chemistry that much and I am also interested in food production.

Thanks in advance for your replies! :)

Hi,

I have completed a Bsc Engineering in Mining and due to the financial difficulties at that time i came Dubai as a Quantity Surveyor and worked here for 4 years. Now i want to change my carrier and want to do a Msc in geophysics as always i wanted.
Is is possible to have a Msc in the field of geophysics without a related working experience

If i finished my Msc will it be a problem to have job since i don't have a Experience in the related field of Msc.

Any one can give me a guidance will be highly appreciated!

Thanks

Kasun

As a fellow scientist, I am excited to hear about your career goals in Earth and Environmental Studies. It is a field that is becoming increasingly important in today's society as we face pressing environmental challenges. Your concentration in Earth Science and minor in Physical Science show a well-rounded understanding of the subject matter.

Teaching in a high need area is a noble and valuable career path. Not only will you be making a positive impact on the lives of your students, but you will also have the opportunity to continue learning and growing as a teacher. Pursuing a master's in education is a smart choice, especially if it can be funded through your teaching position.

In terms of becoming a professor, it is not a requirement to have a PhD or EdD, but it may open up more opportunities for you. However, with your strong background in Earth and Environmental Studies, as well as your teaching experience, you may be able to find opportunities as an adjunct or part-time professor without a higher degree. It may also be worth considering pursuing a PhD or EdD in the future if it aligns with your long-term career goals.

Overall, I believe you have a strong foundation for a successful career in Earth and Environmental Studies. Keep pursuing your passion and never stop learning and growing in your field. Best of luck to you, Matt!

FAQ: Earth and Enviormental Studies Major

1. What is an Earth and Environmental Studies major?

An Earth and Environmental Studies major is an interdisciplinary field of study that combines elements of geology, ecology, biology, chemistry, and physics to understand the Earth's natural systems and how they interact with each other. It focuses on the relationship between humans and the environment, and how we can better manage and protect our planet.

2. What career opportunities are available for Earth and Environmental Studies majors?

There are a wide variety of career opportunities available for Earth and Environmental Studies majors, including environmental consulting, conservation and resource management, sustainability, urban planning, and environmental education. Graduates can also pursue careers in government agencies, non-profit organizations, and research institutions.

3. Is an Earth and Environmental Studies major a good choice for someone interested in environmental activism?

Yes, an Earth and Environmental Studies major can be a great choice for someone interested in environmental activism. The major provides a strong foundation in scientific knowledge and critical thinking skills, which are essential for understanding complex environmental issues and advocating for change. It also offers opportunities for hands-on experience and research in environmental studies, allowing students to gain practical skills and knowledge to make a positive impact.

4. What skills and qualities are important for success in an Earth and Environmental Studies major?

Strong analytical and critical thinking skills are important for success in an Earth and Environmental Studies major. Additionally, good communication skills, both written and oral, are essential for effectively conveying scientific concepts and findings. Having a strong interest in the environment and a desire to make a positive impact are also important qualities for success in this field.

5. Can an Earth and Environmental Studies major lead to a career in climate change research?

Yes, an Earth and Environmental Studies major can lead to a career in climate change research. The major provides a strong foundation in the natural sciences, which are crucial for understanding the complex interactions within the Earth's climate system. Graduates can pursue careers in climate change research in various fields such as atmospheric science, oceanography, and environmental science.