Earth Spin and Rotation: Effects of Fast and Heavy Objects

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter gianeshwar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Earth Rotation Spin
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
gianeshwar
Messages
225
Reaction score
14
If a fast moving and heavy object strikes earth,can it change its spin or rotation or both?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the distinction between spin and rotation in this context?

Pending that clarification, the short answer to your question is "yes".
 
Thanks for reply.
By spin I meant about Earth axis and by rotation I meant rotation(revolution) of Earth about Sun.
For change in spin,I further specify that if the high speed heavy object pushes Earth almost tangentially(not just grazing)
 
If all of China started running east at the same time, that would do it.
 
Thanks for reply.
By spin I meant about Earth axis and by rotation I meant rotation(revolution) of Earth about Sun.
For change in spin,I further specify that if the high speed heavy object pushes Earth almost tangentially(not just grazing)
OK then, we have given you the correct answers in posts #2 and #3. Enjoy.
If all of China started running east at the same time, that would do it.
Isn't all of China already East? They'd have to run west...