Easy 3d Moment with Couples question, Scalar approach.

In summary, Voko explains how to find the moment of a force using the scalar and vector approaches. M = fd and Mx = 5. However, the resultant moments have different orientations, so you will have to take that into account when you sum them up.
Willjeezy

Homework Statement

00U3X4P.jpg

I'd like to figure out the moment at pt A using the scalar approach, not vector

Homework Equations

Vector
M = r x f

Scalar
M = fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I might be missing some concept that would make my life easier...

I figured out how to do this by vector. But I am confused as how to do this by scalar.

for the couple at the top,
My = (2)(2) = 4 j

and then there's a moment at d which causes a rotation in the x axis
Mx= 5 i

The 10kN force can be solved if i put a matching 10kN going up and down at pt A, and then the 10kN pointing down at A and the 10kN pointing up at E would be a couple. However, if I do that the moment calculated is not strictly in one axis.

Kind of confused, I have a feeling I am approaching this wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can compute the moment of each force "scalarly". But the resultant moments will have different orientations, so you will have to take that into account when you sum them up; which pretty much means you will be treating them as vectors, except that you are going to make a bunch of sign errors.

Hey Voko,

how would I go about figuring out the moment effect of 10kN on pt A. I've tried finding the distance from A to the corner right under e.

= √(2^2 + 2^2)
= 2.8

and then with that length am I able to take the moment of the 10kN force?

M = f d
= (10)(2.8)
= 28

but the problem with this moment is that it is in the x z axis.

Yes, the moment of the 10 kN force is not aligned with any axis. It is at the right angle to Y, meaning it is in XZ plane, and it is at the right angle to AE, which makes it "diagonal" in the XZ plane. The latter means you can represent it as a sum of two moments of equal magnitude, aligned with X and Z axes.

You could have obtained that directly from ##(2, 2, -2) \times (0, 10, 0) = 20(-1, 0, -1)##. Much easier, and no hand waving.

right! thank you.

1. What is the scalar approach for easy 3d moment calculations with couples?

The scalar approach for calculating 3d moments with couples involves breaking down the moment into its components and using the scalar equations for each component to solve for the total moment.

2. How do I determine the direction of the couple in 3d space?

The direction of the couple in 3d space can be determined by finding the cross product of the two forces creating the couple. The direction of the cross product will be perpendicular to both forces and will indicate the direction of the couple.

3. Can I use the scalar approach for any type of couple in 3d space?

Yes, the scalar approach can be used for any type of couple in 3d space, as long as the forces creating the couple are known.

4. How do I calculate the magnitude of the couple using the scalar approach?

The magnitude of the couple can be calculated by finding the perpendicular distance between the forces creating the couple and multiplying it by the magnitude of one of the forces. This will give you the magnitude of the moment in the direction perpendicular to the forces.

5. Are there any limitations to using the scalar approach for 3d moment calculations with couples?

The scalar approach may not be suitable for complex or irregularly shaped objects or systems. In these cases, a vector approach may be more appropriate for calculating moments with couples in 3d space.