Calculating Vertical +Horizontal Forces of Beam in Equilib.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of vertical and horizontal reactions at two supports for two attached beams, A and B. The software LinPro is used for calculations and for Beam A, the given answers are Ha = -12kN, Va = -39.46kN, Vb = 36.54kN. The conversation also includes equations for solving the problem, as well as attempts at finding solutions. It is mentioned that the support at an angle requires the correct angle normal to the ground. The conversation is concluded with the realization that the initial calculations were incorrect due to not accounting for the loaded 5m side beam.
King_Silver

Homework Statement

Below are attached 2 beams, A and B. I have to calculate the vertical and horizontal reactions at both supports in both questions. I have done a lot of calculations and believe I have a good understanding of what is needed to be done however my forces are not balancing for some reason. We use a software called LinPro and for Beam A the following answers are given: Ha = -12kN , Va = -39.46kN, Vb = 36.54kN

Homework Equations

∑Ma = 0
∑Hf = 0
∑Vf = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

For A I have set it up as follows.
Va + Vb = 60kN + 16kN (76kN)
The 16kN comes from 4kN* 4 from the diagonal force given.
I then took the moments about point A as follows.
(20kN*3m*1.5m) + 5Vb + (16kN*7) = 0
5Vb = 202kN
Vb = 40.4kN which is NOT 36.54kN.

The horizontal forces are easy to calculate due to Vb being a roller support therefore Hb = 0 which ultimately means Ha = -12kN.

For the Support B!
Va+Vb = 50kN
Ha+Hb = 10kN (once again, Ha = -10kN because of the roller support at Hb = 0kN)

For this one however the support is at an angle. How to deal with supports at an angle? I figured it would just be Arctan(1/2) but that s giving me some strange answers which I know from just looking at aren't quite right.

Am I missing something crucial? I feel I must be overlooking something or are the answers I am calculating on Linpro software just incorrect and am I the one who is right? thanks

Attachments

• wtututu.png
    wtututu.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 488
Physics news on Phys.org
King_Silver said:

Homework Statement

Below are attached 2 beams, A and B. I have to calculate the vertical and horizontal reactions at both supports in both questions. I have done a lot of calculations and believe I have a good understanding of what is needed to be done however my forces are not balancing for some reason. We use a software called LinPro and for Beam A the following answers are given: Ha = -12kN , Va = -39.46kN, Vb = 36.54kN

Homework Equations

∑Ma = 0
∑Hf = 0
∑Vf = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

For A I have set it up as follows.
Va + Vb = 60kN + 16kN (76kN)
The 16kN comes from 4kN* 4 from the diagonal force given.
I then took the moments about point A as follows.
(20kN*3m*1.5m) + 5Vb + (16kN*7) = 0
5Vb = 202kN
Vb = 40.4kN which is NOT 36.54kN.

You must account for the direction of the individual moments. About point A, the 20 kN dist. load will have a CW rotation as will the 16 kN component force at the end. The reaction Vb will have a CCW rotation.
The horizontal forces are easy to calculate due to Vb being a roller support therefore Hb = 0 which ultimately means Ha = -12kN.

For the Support B!
Va+Vb = 50kN
Ha+Hb = 10kN (once again, Ha = -10kN because of the roller support at Hb = 0kN)

For this one however the support is at an angle. How to deal with supports at an angle? I figured it would just be Arctan(1/2) but that s giving me some strange answers which I know from just looking at aren't quite right.

Am I missing something crucial? I feel I must be overlooking something or are the answers I am calculating on Linpro software just incorrect and am I the one who is right? thanks

For the support on a slope, you must use the correct angle which is normal to the ground. Arctan (1/2) is not the correct angle normal to the ground.

SteamKing said:
You must account for the direction of the individual moments. About point A, the 20 kN dist. load will have a CW rotation as will the 16 kN component force at the end. The reaction Vb will have a CCW rotation.
For the support on a slope, you must use the correct angle which is normal to the ground. Arctan (1/2) is not the correct angle normal to the ground.

So you're saying instead of (20kN*3m*1.5m) + 5Vb + (16kN*7) = 0
(20kN*3m*1.5m) + (16kN*7) = 5Vb
How would that change my values though? or am I misunderstanding? Also, are the answers Ha = -12kN , Va = -39.46kN, Vb = 36.54kN correct for Beam A?

Normal to the ground.. a flat surface is 180 degrees. The support is at a diagonal so it will have both a Hf and Vf component no?

King_Silver said:
So you're saying instead of (20kN*3m*1.5m) + 5Vb + (16kN*7) = 0
(20kN*3m*1.5m) + (16kN*7) = 5Vb
How would that change my values though? or am I misunderstanding? Also, are the answers Ha = -12kN , Va = -39.46kN, Vb = 36.54kN correct for Beam A?

Normal to the ground.. a flat surface is 180 degrees. The support is at a diagonal so it will have both a Hf and Vf component no?
I thought you had two separate beams. What you have is a 2-D frame. View A represents a longitudinal elevation of this frame, while view B is looking from say the 2m vertical bar toward the other end. The tiny circle at the end of the 20 kN/m dist. load shows where this 5 m horizontal side beam connects to the 7 m long beam.

Since this 5 m side beam is loaded, your equilibrium equations are affected, which is why your initial calculations weren't working out.

Likes King_Silver
SteamKing said:
I thought you had two separate beams. What you have is a 2-D frame. View A represents a longitudinal elevation of this frame, while view B is looking from say the 2m vertical bar toward the other end. The tiny circle at the end of the 20 kN/m dist. load shows where this 5 m horizontal side beam connects to the 7 m long beam.

Since this 5 m side beam is loaded, your equilibrium equations are affected, which is why your initial calculations weren't working out.

Got it sorted! I forgot about the pin and realized where I was going wrong cheers for that!

1. What is the purpose of calculating vertical and horizontal forces of a beam in equilibrium?

Calculating vertical and horizontal forces of a beam in equilibrium allows us to determine the stability and structural integrity of the beam. It helps us understand how the beam will react to different loads and forces, and how to design or reinforce the beam accordingly.

2. How do you calculate vertical and horizontal forces of a beam in equilibrium?

To calculate vertical and horizontal forces of a beam in equilibrium, we use the principles of static equilibrium. This involves analyzing the forces acting on the beam, including external loads and internal reactions, and setting them equal to zero to ensure the beam is in balance. This allows us to solve for the unknown forces and determine their magnitude and direction.

3. What factors can affect the vertical and horizontal forces of a beam in equilibrium?

The vertical and horizontal forces of a beam in equilibrium can be affected by various factors such as the type of loading (point load, distributed load, etc.), the material properties of the beam, the support conditions, and any external forces acting on the beam (such as wind or seismic forces).

4. How do you ensure that a beam is in equilibrium?

To ensure that a beam is in equilibrium, the sum of the vertical forces must be equal to zero and the sum of the horizontal forces must also be equal to zero. In addition, the sum of the moments (or torques) acting on the beam must also be equal to zero. If any of these conditions are not met, the beam is not in equilibrium and further analysis is needed to determine the cause of the imbalance.

5. What are some common applications of calculating vertical and horizontal forces of a beam in equilibrium?

Calculating vertical and horizontal forces of a beam in equilibrium is useful in a variety of engineering and construction applications. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of structures such as bridges, buildings, and other load-bearing systems. It is also used in the evaluation of existing structures to ensure they can withstand expected loads and forces.