1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics/Moments - Force perpendicular to slope?

1. Oct 6, 2012 #1
    Determine the resultant moment at support points A and B due to the forces acting on the truss as shown.

Fx = F(cos∅), Fy = F(sin∅), M = F(distance)

Point A -88.98kN*m
    Point B ?

I have no problem calculating most of the forces, but I'm lost when it comes to knowing what to do with the forces that are perpendicular to the sloped surfaces. Do I calculate X and Y components for them? Does it automatically turn into an X or Y component? When trying to calculate the moment on point B, is the 10kN multiplied by zero because it's on the same x-axis as the point, or is the 10kN a Y component? Some insight would be hugely appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2012 #2
    Yes, for any forces that are at an angle, generate the x and y components of the force. And good catch, the 10kN force will be multiplied by zero because it is on the same x-axis as point B (when calculating the reaction at B). However, only the x-component of that force is neglected in the calculations, be sure to include the y-component.

4. Oct 6, 2012 #3
    I figured it would still require the X and Y components! Which angle would I use to calculate those?

5. Oct 6, 2012 #4
    The angle should be 45degrees so the x-component is 10cos(45) and the y-component is 10sin(45). At least I hope it is haha.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook