1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy algebra question related to Differential equations

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    I have this really simple differential equation. It needs to be in the form y'+ p(x)y=q(x) to solve it as a linear first order ODE. I am almost embarassed to ask, but I can't seem to get it in exactly this form. Read below.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Need y'+ p(x)y=q(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

Divide both sides by 2x, gives

y'/2x + 3y/2x = e^-3x

Now here I have y' multiplied by the function 1/2x, but according to the proper linear first order ODE form, Y' needs to be by itself.

Can you give me some tips on how to achieve this? I don't know why I can't see it, its probably very simple, but whatever the algebraic manipulation is for this, I seem to have forgotten it.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

It's already in that required form. You have y' + 3y =2xe^(-3x). RHS is a function of x, and 3 is p(x). Remember that a constant function is a function of any variable.
  4. Sep 11, 2008 #3
    Ah so p(x)= 3. Yes I see. :wink: Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?