Easy collision problem I keep getting wrong

• Thread starter SoulInNeed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, this conversation discusses a minor parking-lot accident involving two cars with a mass of 1,000 kg. The cars are moving at different velocities and the question asks for the total system momentum before the collision. The concept of momentum being a vector quantity is highlighted, and the use of the Pythagorean theorem is recommended to find the resultant of the two perpendicular momentum vectors. The importance of using a comprehensive textbook for learning basic physics is also mentioned.
SoulInNeed
1. "Consider a minor parking-lot accident. Car A backs out at 30 cm/s toward the west, and Car B looks for a place to park, driving north at 40 cm/s. Both cars mass 1,000 kg. What is the total system momentum before the collision? Remember that momentum is a vector quantity. Also, be careful with your units."

2. Momentum= Mass * Velocity

3. First, I convert 30 cm/s and 40 cm/s to m/s, which gets me .3 m/s and .4 m/s. Then, I multiply mass and velocity together and I get 400 kg*m/s for Car B and 300 kg*m/s for Car A. I combine the momentums to get 700 kg*m/s in a NW direction. The book, however, says 500 kg*m/s is the correct answer (without explanation). Can anyone help? I'm just starting out, trying to learn basic physics on my own.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SoulInNeed, welcome to PF.
In the problem they have instructed to remember that the momentum is a vector.
The two cars are moving at right angle to each other. So their momentum are perpendicular to each other. So what is the resultant of two vectors which are perpendicular to each other?

The important trick here is in the question itself. Momentum is a vector -- draw the momenta out as vectors if you like and the answer should pop out.

Thanks guys, I got it. Use the Pythagorean to find it.

I've learned a lesson, I need to use a better book to teach me this. This one made no mention of using the Pythagorean theorem when dealing with perpendicular vectors, and I had no idea you could do that in momentum vectors. I got to get a textbook, lol.

1. How do I know which equations to use for an easy collision problem?

For an easy collision problem, you can use the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. These equations can be found in most physics textbooks or online resources.

2. Why do I keep getting the wrong answer for my easy collision problem?

It is possible that you are using the wrong equations or not considering all the variables involved in the collision. Check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct equations.

3. Is there a specific method I should use to solve an easy collision problem?

There are different approaches to solving collision problems. Some people prefer to use a step-by-step method, while others use a more visual approach. Find a method that works best for you and stick to it.

4. Can I use the same equations for both elastic and inelastic collisions in an easy collision problem?

No, the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy are only valid for elastic collisions. For inelastic collisions, you will need to use additional equations to account for the loss of kinetic energy.

5. How can I check if my answer for an easy collision problem is correct?

You can use the same equations and principles to solve the problem in reverse. This means using the final velocities to calculate the initial velocities. If your calculations are correct, the values should match the given initial velocities in the problem.