Ship traveling cal word problem i keep getting the wrong answer

In summary, to solve a ship traveling word problem, you need to identify the given information, use the appropriate formula to calculate the unknown variable, and pay attention to units. Common mistakes include using the wrong formula and not converting units correctly. If the ship changes speed or direction, break the problem into smaller parts and use the appropriate formula for each part. An example problem is given with the solution of a ship traveling 120 nautical miles at a constant speed of 20 knots for 6 hours.
Okie
At noon, ship A is 10 nautical miles due west of ship B. Ship A is sailing west at 16 knots and ship B is sailing north at 19 knots. How fast (in knots) is the distance between the ships changing at 4 PM? (Note: 1 knot is a speed of 1 nautical mile per hour.)

Note: Draw yourself a diagram which shows where the ships are at noon and where they are "some time" later on. You will need to use geometry to work out a formula which tells you how far apart the ships are at time t, and you will need to use "distance = velocity * time" to work out how far the ships have traveled after time t.

So the way that I did (but it is wrong)
at 4pm 4 hours have past so ship A has traveled 16*4 = 64 knots and ship B has traveled 19*4 = 76 knots.

by pythagoras the distance between them at this time is "r"
r² = 64² + 76²
r² = 9872
r = 4√617

Now:
at any time if A is how far ship A has traveled and B is how far ship B has traveled then
r² = A² + B²
differentiating with respect to time
2r dr/dt = 2A dA/dt + 2B dB/dt
r dr/dt = A dA/dt + B dB/dt
we know dA/dt = 16 knots, dB/dt = 19 knots
at 4 pm
4√617 dr/dt = 64*16 + 76*19
4√617 dr/dt = 2468
dr/dt = 2468/4√617
dr/dt = 617/√617
dr/dt = √617 knots
so at 4PM the distance between them is increasing by 24.84 knots (2dp)

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you're on the right track, but I don't think you have taken into account that the ships were not at the same point at noon.

Draw two pictures: one showing the ships at noon, and another showing the ships at 4pm.

Also, the distance between them is in nautical miles, not knots, which are units of speed.

I am not sure what I am suppose to do next? can u guide me please or show me. I would really apreciate it

This is what I did, I could be wrong though.

First I set up a triangle that described where each ship was at any time.
t = time
Ship A = (10 + 16t)
Ship B = (19t)
Distance from A to B = h

We need to find [tex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex] when t = 4.

h = [tex]\sqrt{(19t)^2 + (10 + 16t)^2}[/tex]
h = [tex]\sqrt{617t^2+ 320t + 100}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1234t + 320}{2\sqrt{(617t^2 + 320t)}}[/tex]

Now set t as 4.

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex] @ t = 4, is 24.9 knots.

The answer above is wrong. Can anyone else help me out with this

I am desperate for some guidance please help. I don't know what to do. I am not getting the answer

At noon, the ships are 10 n.m. apart, with ship A to the west of ship B.
At any time t >= 0, ship B will be 19t n.m. north of where it was at noon. Ship A will be 16t + 10 n.m. west of where ship B was at noon.

You have three points that form a right triangle. Ship A is on the left. Ship B's starting point is on the right, at the right angle of the triangle, and B's current position is north of where it was at noon. Draw this picture.

Write an expression that represents the distance D between ship A and ship B as a function of t. The rate of change of distance between the ships is dD/dt. You should end up with an equation for dD/dt in terms of the lengths of the sides of this triangle, and the rates of change (the speeds) of the ships. Evaluate dD/dt at 4pm (i.e., when t = 4 hrs).

Is that enough to get you going?

Hmm well I did notice that I screwed up one line. Although it doesn't change the answer much, perhaps tell us the answer if you know it?

Below is what I actually meant for the one line.

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1234t + 320}{2\sqrt{(617t^2 + 320t + 100)}}[/tex]

MeTh0Dz said:
This is what I did, I could be wrong though.

First I set up a triangle that described where each ship was at any time.
t = time
Ship A = (10 + 16t)
Ship B = (19t)
Distance from A to B = h

We need to find [tex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex] when t = 4.

h = [tex]\sqrt{(19t)^2 + (10 + 16t)^2}[/tex]
h = [tex]\sqrt{617t^2+ 320t + 100}[/tex]
I think you will find it simpler to deal with h2.

[tex]h^2= 19^2t^2+ (10+ 16t)^2[/tex]
so
[tex]2h\frac{dh}{dt}= 2(19^2)t+ 16(10+ 16t)^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1234t + 320}{2\sqrt{(617t^2 + 320t)}}[/tex]

Now set t as 4.

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex] @ t = 4, is 24.9 knots.

HallsofIvy said:
I think you will find it simpler to deal with h2.

[tex]h^2= 19^2t^2+ (10+ 16t)^2[/tex]
so
[tex]2h\frac{dh}{dt}= 2(19^2)t+ 16(10+ 16t)^2[/tex]

True, but it still leaves you with the ugly task of plugging h in at the end.

But that's just arithmetic. h is approximately 106 nm at 4:00

1. How do you solve a ship traveling word problem?

To solve a ship traveling word problem, you need to first identify the given information, including the distance, speed, and time. Then, use the formula distance = speed x time to calculate the unknown variable. Finally, make sure to include the appropriate units in your answer.

2. Why am I getting the wrong answer in my ship traveling word problem?

There could be several reasons for getting the wrong answer in a ship traveling word problem. Some common mistakes include using the wrong formula, not converting units correctly, and not accounting for changes in speed or direction. Double-check your calculations and make sure to label your units to avoid errors.

3. How do I know which formula to use in a ship traveling word problem?

The formula to use in a ship traveling word problem depends on the given information and what you are trying to solve for. If you are given distance and speed, you can use the formula distance = speed x time. If you are given distance and time, you can use the formula speed = distance/time. If you are given speed and time, you can use the formula distance = speed x time. Just make sure to use the correct formula for the given information.

4. What should I do if the ship in the word problem changes speed or direction?

If the ship in the word problem changes speed or direction, you will need to break the problem into smaller parts and use the appropriate formula for each part. For example, if the ship travels at one speed for half the distance and then changes to a different speed for the remaining distance, you will need to use two separate calculations and add the answers together.

5. Can you provide an example of a ship traveling word problem and its solution?

Sure! Here's an example: A ship travels at a constant speed of 20 knots for 6 hours. How far does it travel? Given information: speed = 20 knots, time = 6 hours. Formula: distance = speed x time. Calculation: distance = 20 knots x 6 hours = 120 nautical miles. Answer: The ship travels 120 nautical miles.