1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very easy simple harmonic motion question that I keep getting wrong

1. Apr 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In an engine, a piston oscillates with simple harmonic motion so that its position varies according to the following expression, where x is in centimeters and t is in seconds.

x = (7.00 cm) cos(4t + π/6)

At t = 0, what is its velocity?

2. Relevant equations

v(t) = -A sin(ωt + ϕ)

3. The attempt at a solution

It first asked me to find the position so I did that easily by plugging in for time and getting an answer. And to get velocity I just had to take the derivative of the initial function and then plug in once again. However, when I do this I do not get the correct answer and I can't figure out why.

The expression should read

v(t) = -7.00 cm sin (4(0) + π/6)

This basicaly breaks down to -7.00 * 1/2 right?

When I do this I get -3.5 cm/s and it says my answer is off by more than 10%. No idea what I am doing wrong.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The expression in red above is not correct. It should be:

v(t) = -Aωsin(ωt + ϕ)

Since you know how to take a derivative, you can verify this for yourself. You can also see that the units work out in this case. The amplitude of the velocity has to have units of cm/s, not just cm.

4. Apr 7, 2012 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Check your derivative carefully. While d/dt cos(t) = -sin(t), d/dt cos(ωt) ≠ -sin(ωt)...

5. Apr 7, 2012 #4
    Ah ok I was forgetting to multiply my Amplitude by ω

Got it thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook