Easy matrix integration question

In summary: This is clearly the case. I suspect the integral has been malconstructed. It seems to be the computation of the moment of inertia tensor for a slender rod, except the density function should be a delta function in y and z, not a finite one. As it stands, the dimensions are even wrong.Yea, I realized what I did wrong with trying to at least get constants off, it should be 0. But how could this be? Let me give everyone a zoom out on how this should apply to physics a little better.Can you explain or show to me what the integral should look like then?I'm an electrical Engineer, and have only dealt with delta functions in wave properties, not
Rickster26ter

Homework Statement

This is just the triple integral of an easy matrix problem. I just have no ideas what they got by the time they got to the integral of x.

Homework Equations

integral[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Somebody please prove me wrong. I got a matrix of constants by the time I got to x, not this
d4dbcc7a6ed24655869d849da683b463_A.jpg
[/B]

Attachments

• d4dbcc7a6ed24655869d849da683b463_A.jpg
    d4dbcc7a6ed24655869d849da683b463_A.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show us what the actual problem is and your own efforts to solve it.

upload_2017-12-20_15-19-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-20_15-19-40.png
    upload_2017-12-20_15-19-40.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 992
Rickster26ter said:

Notice, the main problem is that after I integrate, a z is mutliplied by everything, and then turned into 0.

Clearly the integral is zero. The integration domain has measure zero. I suspect what was intended was to integrate some delta functions over a non-empty domain.

It would help if you stated the problem. Always state the full problem exactly as given.

Likes FactChecker
This is a little unusual. I think that the answer is the zero matrix. The reason is that even the elements that do not include y or z would integrate to 0 when the integral ends are both 0. In fact any time both ends are the same. Suppose the antiderivative of function f is F. Then ∫a af(y) dy = F(y)|y=a - F(y)|y=a = F(a)-F(a) = 0

FactChecker said:
This is a little unusual. I think that the answer is the zero matrix. The reason is that even the elements that do not include y or z would integrate to 0 when the integral ends are both 0. In fact any time both ends are the same. Suppose the antiderivative of function f is F. Then ∫a af(y) dy = F(y)|y=a - F(y)|y=a = F(a)-F(a) = 0
This is clearly the case. I suspect the integral has been malconstructed. It seems to be the computation of the moment of inertia tensor for a slender rod, except the density function should be a delta function in y and z, not a finite one. As it stands, the dimensions are even wrong.

Yea, I realized what I did wrong with trying to at least get constants off, it should be 0. But how could this be? Let me give everyone a zoom out on how this should apply to physics a little better.
upload_2017-12-20_15-27-14.png

upload_2017-12-20_15-26-24.png

upload_2017-12-20_15-27-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-20_15-26-24.png
    upload_2017-12-20_15-26-24.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 467
  • upload_2017-12-20_15-27-14.png
    upload_2017-12-20_15-27-14.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 519
  • upload_2017-12-20_15-27-38.png
    upload_2017-12-20_15-27-38.png
    13 KB · Views: 577
Can you explain or show to me what the integral should look like then?

I'm an electrical Engineer, and have only dealt with delta functions in wave properties, not tensors, so can you explain further?

I suggest that you think about what dm is in terms of the coordinates. In general, it is given by ##dm = \rho \, dV## and you should integrate over all of space. (There are several hints in my previous posts.)

For the future: You should have given us the entire problem in your first post. It would have significantly simplified the process. As it was I had to guess what you were actually up to.

Fair enough. I'm still a bit confused as to what is "malconstructed." I think I understand why you are saying we need delta functions, but I still don't get why how the integral bounds should be constructed, if not 0 to 0, and how that gives us the (2,2) and (3,3) x^2 values..

If you want me to show my work, somebody who knows less, how much more do I need you to show work of what you are talking about.

Rickster26ter said:
I'm still a bit confused as to what is "malconstructed."
For example, if you would try to compute the mass in a similar way, you would get zero.

One way around using delta functions is to skip the y and z integrations altogether and write ##dm = \rho_\ell dx##, where ##\rho_\ell## is the linear density (mass per length). The y and z coordinates are always zero.

Likes FactChecker
Rickster26ter said:
Fair enough. I'm still a bit confused as to what is "malconstructed." I think I understand why you are saying we need delta functions, but I still don't get why how the integral bounds should be constructed, if not 0 to 0, and how that gives us the (2,2) and (3,3) x^2 values..
You could integrate from ##y=-\infty## to ##y=\infty##. It actually doesn't really matter what interval you use as long as it contains ##y=0## because the delta function is zero except when ##y=0##, where the rod lies. Same with ##z##.

The author of the book was extraordinarily sloppy. There are often cases where you write mathematics down which isn't rigorously correct but which gets the job done, but the integral you're dealing with is just plain wrong. It's no surprise it confused you.

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions, arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent and manipulate data in various mathematical and scientific fields.

2. What is matrix integration?

Matrix integration is the process of applying integration techniques to matrices, which involves finding the antiderivative of each element in the matrix and then combining them to form the final integrated matrix.

3. What are the benefits of using matrices in integration?

Using matrices in integration allows for the representation and manipulation of multiple variables and equations simultaneously. This can lead to more efficient and accurate solutions to complex problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Are there any specific rules for integrating matrices?

Yes, there are specific rules for integrating matrices, such as the linearity property, the product rule, and the chain rule. These rules are similar to the rules for integrating single-variable functions, but must be applied to each element in the matrix.

5. Can matrices be integrated numerically?

Yes, matrices can be integrated numerically using methods such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or Gaussian quadrature. These methods involve approximating the integral by dividing the matrix into smaller sections and using numerical techniques to calculate the area under the curve.