Easy network analysis question about a problem.

• Thread starter frozenguy
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Thanks for looking/responding!
Using node voltage analysis in the circuit, find the current i through the voltage source

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I know what direction the all the currents are going before I start analyzing each node?
I know 2A is going counter clockwise along the bottom left corner, and i is to the right on the branch as labeled.

ECp34.jpg

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

Thanks for looking/responding!
Using node voltage analysis in the circuit, find the current i through the voltage source

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I know what direction the all the currents are going before I start analyzing each node?
I know 2A is going counter clockwise along the bottom left corner, and i is to the right on the branch as labeled.

ECp34.jpg

Hi there frozenguy :smile: I believe it doesn't matter what direction they are going in. Just assume a direction for each current, label your resistor polarities according to your assumptions, and solve. If you get that a particular current comes back as negative, it just means that your assumption was wrong and that the direction os really the opposite.

You dig?

Hi there frozenguy :smile: I believe it doesn't matter what direction they are going in. Just assume a direction for each current, label your resistor polarities according to your assumptions, and solve. If you get that a particular current comes back as negative, it just means that your assumption was wrong and that the direction os really the opposite.

You dig?

Hi Saladsamurai! Yes I totally dig :tongue:
I was even kind of thinking it may be like that, because I couldn't see how my professor chose them, but I wanted to make sure because my professor doesn't have the best rep around here.
Awesome, thanks Saladsamurai :biggrin:

Hi Saladsamurai! Yes I totally dig :tongue:
I was even kind of thinking it may be like that, because I couldn't see how my professor chose them, but I wanted to make sure because my professor doesn't have the best rep around here.
Awesome, thanks Saladsamurai :biggrin:

No problem :smile: Just remember that by assuming current direction you are implicitly making assumptions about polarity and source/sinkage.

No problem :smile: Just remember that by assuming current direction you are implicitly making assumptions about polarity and source/sinkage.

Roger that..
Meaning that I need to keep track of what I assumed and make sure I correct it after a negative value is calculate?