1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with this network analysis question

1. Nov 10, 2015 #1
    1199oad.png
    given:
    source voltage =120V
    voltage across 15 ohm resistor = Va
    there is a dependent source 2Va
    and a 30 ohm resistor.

I tried applying KVL i.e 120-30I+2Va-Va=0
    where Va=15I

and got I=2.66A
    whereas my teacher told me that the answer is 8A. how is it so? Is it some basic knowledge that I have overlooked?

Also as a side note, I have difficulty knowing which theorem to apply in which circuit. I do practise problems but even then I have difficulties especially in chapters like 2-port network. Are there any tips regarding that?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show your working. I think you just made an arithmetic error. I used your equations and get 8A.

4. Nov 10, 2015 #3
    Umm.. yep you are correct. what would have been the current if the polarity of 2Va was reversed?
    Do you have any advice on how to deal with two port network problems. I just dont know how to approach the problems for the asked parameters(z,y,h,etc.)

5. Nov 10, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I made that 1.6A.

Usually it's a matter of remembering if you should short or open circuit a port and then working out the effect of that on the circuit. Perhaps print out some of the slides from here to have as a reference?..

http://www.slideshare.net/PinkyChaudhari/two-port-network

If I've misunderstood perhaps start a new thread with an example.[/quote][/QUOTE]

6. Nov 10, 2015 #5
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted