Help with this network analysis question

In summary, my teacher told me that the answer is 8A, but I got 2.66A using KVL. I don't know which theorem to apply in which circuit.
Pratik77
1199oad.png

given:
source voltage =120V
voltage across 15 ohm resistor = Va
there is a dependent source 2Va
and a 30 ohm resistor.

I tried applying KVL i.e 120-30I+2Va-Va=0
where Va=15I

and got I=2.66A
whereas my teacher told me that the answer is 8A. how is it so? Is it some basic knowledge that I have overlooked?
Also as a side note, I have difficulty knowing which theorem to apply in which circuit. I do practise problems but even then I have difficulties especially in chapters like 2-port network. Are there any tips regarding that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pratik77 said:
I tried applying KVL i.e 120-30I+2Va-Va=0
where Va=15I

and got I=2.66A
whereas my teacher told me that the answer is 8A.

Show your working. I think you just made an arithmetic error. I used your equations and get 8A.

Umm.. yep you are correct. what would have been the current if the polarity of 2Va was reversed?
Do you have any advice on how to deal with two port network problems. I just don't know how to approach the problems for the asked parameters(z,y,h,etc.)

Pratik77 said:
Umm.. yep you are correct. what would have been the current if the polarity of 2Va was reversed?

I made that 1.6A.

Do you have any advice on how to deal with two port network problems. I just don't know how to approach the problems for the asked parameters(z,y,h,etc.)

Usually it's a matter of remembering if you should short or open circuit a port and then working out the effect of that on the circuit. Perhaps print out some of the slides from here to have as a reference?..

http://www.slideshare.net/PinkyChaudhari/two-port-network

If I've misunderstood perhaps start a new thread with an example.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Likes Pratik77
Thanks!

What is network analysis?

Network analysis is a method used by scientists and researchers to study and understand complex systems, such as social networks, transportation systems, and biological networks. It involves analyzing the connections and relationships between individual components in a network to identify patterns, trends, and behaviors.

What are some common applications of network analysis?

Network analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as sociology, biology, computer science, and business. Some common applications include identifying key players in a social network, analyzing protein interactions in a biological network, optimizing transportation routes, and detecting fraud in financial networks.

What tools and techniques are used in network analysis?

There are several tools and techniques used in network analysis, including network visualization software, statistical analysis, and machine learning algorithms. Network scientists also use concepts such as centrality, clustering, and community detection to understand the structure and dynamics of networks.

What are the benefits of network analysis?

Network analysis can provide valuable insights and understanding of complex systems that may not be easily apparent through traditional methods. It can help identify patterns and behaviors, detect anomalies, and predict future trends and outcomes. It can also aid in decision-making and problem-solving in various fields.

What are some challenges in network analysis?

One of the main challenges in network analysis is dealing with large and complex networks that may have millions of nodes and edges. This requires specialized tools and techniques to analyze and visualize the data effectively. Additionally, ensuring the accuracy and reliability of the data and avoiding bias in the analysis can also be challenging.