1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy one here yet, i can't get it

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    A 1200kg space probe travelling initially at a speed of 9500 m/s through deep space fires its engines that produce a force of magnitude 92000N over 86 km distance. Determine the final speed of the probe.

Attempt at solution:
    I tried finding the acceleration by dividing the mass by the force. Then i tried subbing into the equation v^2=v^2+2ad

Is it correct because i get the same value as the original velocity?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2
    It sounds correct. You have a constant force, and thus a constant acceleration. Using the kinematic equation in your post, you should be able to find the final velocity. Don't forget to convert the km to meters.

Edit: By the way, you shouldn't get the same value as your initial velocity. A constant acceleration is taking place, and therefore your velocity is going to change.

4. Nov 6, 2007 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You seem to have the correct method assuming that you don't need to take into account any mass lost. I would presume there is just a calculation error somewhere. If you post exactly what you're doing to get the wrong answer then perhaps someone can see where you made the mistake.

5. Nov 6, 2007 #4
    Have you converted the 86km into metres? It is impossible for v = u, as hotcommodity said, acceleration is occurring. I calculated, and v does not equal u. :smile:

6. Nov 6, 2007 #5
    Hot commity ,, u are a genius, it seemed that i wasn't converting the distance from kilometers to meters. It was right in front of me all along, Thanks for the help all, i really appreciate it ... another thing thats bothering me is this question:

A student a compressed spring of force constant 22 N/m to shoot a 7.5*10^-3 kg eraser across a desk. The magnitude of the force of friction on the eraser is 4.2*10^-2. How far along the horizontal desk will the eraser slide if the spring is initially compressed 3.5cm?

Attempt ---> im thinking something along the line of Fd=1/2kx^2 but i seem to get stuck

any ideas

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?